Rice Wine Strikes Again in Kratie Province: 3 dead and 30 Hospitalized

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Rice Wine Strikes Again in Kratie Province: 3 dead and 30 Hospitalized

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kratie, Cambodia News: On October 18, 2018, three people died, and 30 people were sent to hospital, after drinking locally brewed rice wine in Dam Re village, Sambor district, Kratie.
The wine producer was detained by the police for questioning.

Kratie province has an unhealthy history of deaths by rice wine poisoning.
2 Dead, 43 Hospitalized in Kratie, July 2018:
topic21443.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Zhivago451
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Rice Wine Strikes Again in Kratie Province: 3 dead and 30 Hospitalized

Post by Zhivago451 »

That's horrible T_T My condolences to those who died and my prayers to those who were hospitalized. I hope that they will be okay. As for Kratie province...I will not be drinking anything locally brewed from there especially not the rice wine.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Zhivago451 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:08 am That's horrible T_T My condolences to those who died and my prayers to those who were hospitalized. I hope that they will be okay. As for Kratie province...I will not be drinking anything locally brewed from there especially not the rice wine.
Better not try it in other provinces too. Now it's Kratie, but it happened in other provinces too in the past.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

It's getting the strychnine balance right that's the tricky bit. A tiny bit too much and your smaller body mass drinkers are the ones that are going to feel it.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE: A total of 5 people are now reported dead, and 80 hospitalized, after the latest mass poisoning episode in Kratie province on 18 October 2018.
On 22 October, the village rice wine maker, Sok Heng, 31, from Boeng Char commune, Sambor district, Kratie province, was detained on the orders of Mr. Eng Thong, the investigating judge of the Kratie Provincial Cour, on charges of “unintentional homicide.”
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

They say here that all rice wine production has been shut down in Kratie province. That will be difficult to police.

Methanol-laced rice wine kills 3 and hospitalises 44 in Cambodia
25th October, 2018 by Natalie Wang
Locally produced rice wine with high levels of methanol has killed three villagers and hospitalised 44 others in the Kratié province in Cambodia last week.

Local police and authorities have now shut down rice wine productions in the province indefinitely after the incident, according to Phnom Penh Post.

The incident happened last Wednesday when the villages drank the wine after a rice harvest. Shortly afterwards, they started showing symptoms of dizziness, nausea and breathing difficulties.

The rice wine producer was detained after the casualties were reported. Homemade rice wine is popular in Cambodia especially in rural parts of the country.
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/ ... -cambodia/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I was peer pressured into taking a large glass of this buffalo piss last year in Kampong Cham near my wife's house....not sure if it was the hootch or the dog innards they gave me to snack on that made me sick as fuck....
I have since figured out that my wife's mother died of this same srai whisky poisoning in 1995....
better stick to beers and import booze.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ministry holds workshop to train Kratie rice wine brewers
2 November 2018
The Ministry of Industry and Handicraft organised a training workshop on Thursday in Kratie province on how to make rice wine.

The workshop was conducted following the case of toxic rice wine that killed several people and hospitalised many others in the province last month.

Kratie provincial governor Khan Chamnan, who presided over the workshop, told The Post that experts from the ministry trained the rice wine vendors to make the brew properly.

“During the training, we taught them the technical standards of making rice wine and the impact on consumers’ health and safety if it was not met,” he said.

He noted that all rice wine vendors in the province’s five districts and one city were obligated to attend the workshop before resuming production.

Chamnan said that in order to ensure the quality of rice wine, attending the workshop was a crucial part as it will help promote the local product and assure the people’s wellbeing.

“All ingredients must be clean and safe. Do not mix wine with methanol because it can harm customers’ health,” he said.

On October 23, the authorities shut down all rice wine operations in the province.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ne-brewers

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic