Is the way we think about overpopulation racist?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Is the way we think about overpopulation racist?

Post by BklynBoy »

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018 ... ul-ehrlich

Interesting article---
Half the world lives in urban areas, yet environmental concerns about megacities often focus on developing economies. But consumption is as important as population
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Is the way we think about overpopulation racist?

Post by Sidewalker »

Why we have to discus this on CEO?
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I live in a developing economy, Brooklynboy lives in NYC. How either of us thinks about overpopulation and other matters must vary wildly. There is no "we".
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

we don't have to discuss..just thought was interesting take on things. No biggie either way. Agree w/ JB, our perception is based on where we live but open to reading /experiencing new things
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Sidewalker wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:08 pm Why we have to discus this on CEO?
Why not? It's a forum open to all, and this is 'general chatter'

I don't recall reading a list of suitable topics when signing up, or maybe i glossed over that.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:09 am

I don't recall reading a list of suitable topics when signing up, or maybe i glossed over that.
The word racist made me suspicious.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Sidewalker wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:18 am
Freightdog wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:09 am

The word racist made me suspicious.
fair enough- (I admit to the same)

It's easy to draw conclusions based on racial lines (rather than racist- PC brigade at work?); Especially once you have visited certain areas of the world, and experienced the inadequacies of the system based purely on the local culture. A slightly alarmist type of title, attention grabbing (serving it's purpose) but setting a poor tone before even getting into the bones of the topic.

I remember a discussion revolving around populations not so long ago, where Tasmania and Bangladesh were being compared.

Bangladesh
• Total area
147,570[5] km2 (56,980 sq mi)
• Total population

Tasmania
• Total area
68,401 km² (26,410 sq mi)
• Total population

In the discussion, reference was made to a local newspaper article and survey in a Dhaka (english language) newspaper. The subject was about contraception.
Of a cross section surveyed, a rather limited %age understood the concept, of that a very small percentage had ever used contraception, and an even smaller %age would consider using any form again. The total %age of people using or considering it's use being very firmly in single figures.
In a country which doesn't advocate sex education
Where the theoretical legal age of consent is 16 (IIRC), but marriage overrides this. Marriage age not being controlled so much by law, but by religious guidelines. Not unexpected for girls of 14 to be married off. I was offered the purchase of a spare daughter by a local imam, who had too many. I could have his 5yr old girl for not too much $$$.

The PC brigade might easily conclude that population concerns by 1st worlders as racist, without truly understanding the underlying issues.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

maybe the term " racist" was click bait..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic