Aeon 2,Drivers license renwal

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Aeon 2,Drivers license renwal

Post by Clutch Cargo »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:24 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:47 pm What form?
It took a while to identify where the Sangkat office is. Turns out it was a five minute walk, but it took close on 6 weeks to get that info.

It seems there are different procedures depending on which person is on duty at the time, or the proximity to lunch time, or the office involved.

If I closed my eyes, I could imagine I was dealing with a British gubbinsment department
If you have an IDL, you should be OK.
Has this changed? AFAIK IDL is not recognised in KOW...except it seems by the police in little Macau for the colonial masters (somewhere I read on here recently)..

Then of course there's the issue that your medical insurance may not accept it in the event of a claim..
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

"If you have an IDL, you should be OK.
Has this changed? AFAIK IDL is not recognised in KOW...except it seems by the police in little Macau for the colonial masters (somewhere I read on here recently).."

The latest I've seen/ heard about is that Only the Snooky police recognize an IDP.

I was actually stopped yesterday and curious what would happen I just handed over my IDP and nothing else, they were not impressed, and refused it, I quickly gave them my Cambodian license and I was on my way. This was just outside Sre Ambel.
Being KOW this could all change tomorrow
up to you...
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

It looks like I stand corrected on the IDP.
hico11
Tourist

Post by hico11 »

The new license does not print the address in ENG so it is really a domestic only license. Some jurisdictions may allow one to rent a car with it but others won't.

People should encourage the Min of Transportation to internationalize the license, ENG for address and vitals, as it used to be.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic