Requirements to get a Retirement Visa

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Requirements to get a Retirement Visa

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Pjebee39 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:10 pm My wife and I are hoping to relocate to Siem Reap later this year - we are not looking to work - I am 54 and my wife is 45 - we don’t currrently get any pension from the U.K. - is it possible to both get an ER by just showing our bank statement?
If under 55...

If you don't have an actual pension (with appropriate supporting documentation), then you'll both need to write a statuatory declaration declaring that you don't, and will not, work in Cambodia, and provide evidence of sufficient funds for the duration of your requested EOS.

There are no official published requirements, applications are decided on a case by case basis, so it is up to you to convince the DoI that you are eligible for the ER EOS.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Pjebee39 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:10 pm My wife and I are hoping to relocate to Siem Reap later this year - we are not looking to work - I am 54 and my wife is 45 - we don’t currrently get any pension from the U.K. - is it possible to both get an ER by just showing our bank statement?
The situation in Cambodia is changing rapidly, and the visa rules also. By the time you get here, the ER requirements might have changed.It's impossible to say what the visa situation will be in 6 months.

When you arrive in Cambodia, ask for an Ordinary (not Tourist) visa on arrival which will give you 1 month in Cambodia to sort out your visa extension. Best of luck.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:53 pm
The situation in Cambodia is changing rapidly, and the visa rules also. By the time you get here, the ER requirements might have changed.It's impossible to say what the visa situation will be in 6 months.

When you arrive in Cambodia, ask for an Ordinary (not Tourist) visa on arrival which will give you 1 month in Cambodia to sort out your visa extension. Best of luck.
Just to add to that...

If you havent got your head around the situation by the tine it comes to apply for your extension of stay (EOS), then just apply for a 6 month EG (General) EOS...no supporting documentation required, one time only (currently).
Pjebee39
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Pjebee39 »

Thanks for your replies - I guess it’s a case of see what it’s like when we are ready to move!
Makewa
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Makewa »

"Applied for the retirement visa in September of last year at the age of 54"

The key point is LAST YEAR. It all changed on Feb 9 2018.

Please only listen to advice later than February 9 or you will get caught like I did.
Ditto.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Still plenty of people under 55 successfully obtaining their first ER EOSs since Feb.
Don Sergio
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Don Sergio »

Are those who have a retirement visa and a pension get taxed here?
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Don Sergio wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:38 pm Are those who have a retirement visa and a pension get taxed here?
No you don’t pay tax here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic