Two Dead in Mekong Express Nightbus Crash in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: Two Dead in Mekong Express Nightbus Crash in Cambodia

Post by prahocalypse now »

iheartheenim wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:46 am

I think in some way hanno is kind of correct. If you are observant and if you do share the road with most Cambodians regularly, they do act like they are more important or where they are going is more important or their time is more precious or their vehicle is much bigger than yours, the conversation they have on the phone is very important hence the reason why they will overtake, over speed, run a red light, counterflow, text/call and drive and honk at others. For them, what is important is now, what is happening at this moment with blatant disregard for any consequence or the future. And that is their culture, the "me first" culture or rather, the "me only" culture. It's not every time that they will not help in case of an emergency or accident, it's most of the time.
I'm not sure that I follow what you're saying. Hanno doesn't believe the reckless act of pulling out onto the road without looking has anything to do with preceptions of self-importance.

Actually, Hanno once wrote somewhere else that the transition from oxcart to Range Rover happened too quickly. That I believe is the explanation for this behaviour.
Last edited by prahocalypse now on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

prahocalypse now wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:06 pm Actually, Hanno once wrote somewhere else that the transition from oxcart to Range Rover happened to quickly. That I believe is the explanation for this behaviour.
This... nailed it tbh.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:18 pm
prahocalypse now wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:06 pm Actually, Hanno once wrote somewhere else that the transition from oxcart to Range Rover happened to quickly. That I believe is the explanation for this behaviour.
This... nailed it tbh.
I sot of agree, but the motp was an important intermediate step downwards in the decline of responsible road behavior.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

hanno wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:22 am
explorer wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 am It is normal for Cambodians to display how important they are by pulling out onto the road without looking what is coming. Any vehicles coming just have to stop.

This is the end result of this minivan driver displaying how important he is.

Until the police stop focusing on collecting money, and start enforcing laws to make the roads safer, many thousands more will die.
I really doubt that people pull out “to display how important they are”. The statement makes about as much sense as your other statement that Asian restaurant owners make their customers sick on purpos.....
He is kind of right. Extremely seldom will a khmer give way to you on a roundabout and 9 times out of 10 any vehicle coming from a minor road onto a major will ever stop and wait, they're usually pulling out without even touching the brakes whilst having a full blown conversation on their phone. Khmers fucking suck at driving so much.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I thought the French were to blame, priorite a droite. It used to cause a lot of accidents in France and Belgium.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

LoL, someone on Facebook said they are reading this article while waiting for their Mekong Express bus:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Captain Bonez wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:33 pm
hanno wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:22 am
explorer wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 am It is normal for Cambodians to display how important they are by pulling out onto the road without looking what is coming. Any vehicles coming just have to stop.

This is the end result of this minivan driver displaying how important he is.

Until the police stop focusing on collecting money, and start enforcing laws to make the roads safer, many thousands more will die.
I really doubt that people pull out “to display how important they are”. The statement makes about as much sense as your other statement that Asian restaurant owners make their customers sick on purpos.....
He is kind of right. Extremely seldom will a khmer give way to you on a roundabout and 9 times out of 10 any vehicle coming from a minor road onto a major will ever stop and wait, they're usually pulling out without even touching the brakes whilst having a full blown conversation on their phone. Khmers fucking suck at driving so much.
Agreed but I still maintain that it is less a "look at how important I am" (heck, ev en guys on a beat-up 25-year old Honda Cub do it) and still has more to do with the fast transition from ox cart to petrol-powered vehicles.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

hanno wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:21 pm has more to do with the fast transition from ox cart to petrol-powered vehicles.
Lol, yeah not a lot of generational wisdom to be passed down as far as vehicular operation.

The way these guys blast out from side streets, merging in without so much as a sideways glance at anything that may be oncoming. It seems so blatantly reckless and puts themselves and everyone around in needless danger.

When it happens near me, it startles me every time and I get the roiling urge to grab a fistful of hair and pull him, ass over teakettle, right off his moto.

But it does no use to get angry or give them the stink eye. Cambodians are operating under a completely different paradigm and wouldn't have the foggiest idea as to why you are all bent out of shape anyway.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I think inconsiderate driving is related more to why Cambodians blast music with no regard for others, push in line or take advantage wherever they can. It's not about oxen or motos skill, it's about a lack of consideration driven by the individual's selfishness and their wants having to take precendence over the needs of anyone else.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Was it different before the war? I’m just wondering if a fundamental shift in mentality occurred with the Khmer Rouge.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic