Two Dead in Mekong Express Nightbus Crash in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Two Dead in Mekong Express Nightbus Crash in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kampong Thom, Cambodia News: A shocking accident occurred tonight at 6:30 pm on October 14, 2018, when a Mekong Express Limousine bus traveling from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh crashed into a minivan at a crossroads at Kampong Thom. Two people, who remain unidentified, were killed instantly at the scene of the accident.
It bears repeating that it is considered dangerous to travel on night buses in Cambodia.
Spoiler:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Two Dead in Mekong Express Nightbus Crash in Cambodia

Post by explorer »

It is normal for Cambodians to display how important they are by pulling out onto the road without looking what is coming. Any vehicles coming just have to stop.

This is the end result of this minivan driver displaying how important he is.

Until the police stop focusing on collecting money, and start enforcing laws to make the roads safer, many thousands more will die.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

explorer wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 am It is normal for Cambodians to display how important they are by pulling out onto the road without looking what is coming. Any vehicles coming just have to stop.

Until the police stop focusing on collecting money, and start enforcing laws to make the roads safer, many thousands more will die.
I really doubt that people pull out “to display how important they are”. The statement makes about as much sense as your other statement that Asian restaurant owners make their customers sick on purpos.....
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Anyone who drives a minivan isn't all that important.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Motos are the biggest culprit of pulling out from a side road into a main road without looking, and you can hardly say someone on one of those is particularly important. It's just a cultural thing.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Driving is a competition in Asia. Other drivers aren't people, they're opponents!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:13 am It bears repeating that it is considered dangerous to travel on night buses in Cambodia.
To be honest, the night bus seems in pretty decent shape, my guess is the victims were in the minivan. It's totally wrecked.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Unless I have missed them there doesn’t seem to have been many bus crashes this year. Or they only become news if someone dies?
This begs the question I have been pondering over the weekend actually..... are the locals becoming better drivers? Better than let’s say 5 years ago.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

explorer wrote:It is normal for Cambodians to display how important they are by pulling out onto the road without looking what is coming.
I've always thought it's to display how immortal they are.
iheartheenim
Tourist
Somalia

Post by iheartheenim »

hanno wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:22 am
explorer wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 am It is normal for Cambodians to display how important they are by pulling out onto the road without looking what is coming. Any vehicles coming just have to stop.

I really doubt that people pull out “to display how important they are”. The statement makes about as much sense as your other statement that Asian restaurant owners make their customers sick on purpos.....
I think in some way hanno is kind of correct. If you are observant and if you do share the road with most Cambodians regularly, they do act like they are more important or where they are going is more important or their time is more precious or their vehicle is much bigger than yours, the conversation they have on the phone is very important hence the reason why they will overtake, over speed, run a red light, counterflow, text/call and drive and honk at others. For them, what is important is now, what is happening at this moment with blatant disregard for any consequence or the future. And that is their culture, the "me first" culture or rather, the "me only" culture. It's not every time that they will not help in case of an emergency or accident, it's most of the time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic