Thai visa crackdown

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by Satiated Parrot »

I think Drifter's anger against thailand was started by the fire of a bar girl's loins.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

New announcement. Education visas only one year max and no more? That is a huge development. As I recall, the schools were promising up to 10 years, renewed annually. Watch many Thai language schools close down. There may be quite a few poorly-thought-out, semi-recent condo purchases being reconsidered and put up for a fire sale in the next year by skint farangs. So far, only the over-50 year old retirees with 800,000 Baht cash in the bank (or annual income equivalent) have been spared the visa upheaval. Can retirement visa reform be far behind? Or will we get another "Oops, I did it again" press conference and back-track by some hapless junta general?

As it stands, this puts a total damper on my plans for a quick return to Thailand in early retirement. I may as well work until age 49 or 50 now. :cry:
Bangkokpost.com wrote:Tourists get extended visas
Published: 27 Aug 2014 at 18.35 | Viewed: 15,019 | The Immigration Bureau has approved a new regulation that that allows tourists to extend their stay in the kingdom by a further 30 days, effective from Aug 29.

more...
http://bangkokpost.com/news/local/42905 ... nded-visas
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

New announcement. Education visas only one year max and no more? That is a huge development
Wrong and right

yes ed visas are only good for 1year
BUT than they are also saying all u need do is redo ur paperwork , travel outside Thailand an get a new 1 year visa.

I would like to see them incorporate a test as well to close the loop.

thai visa;

Posted Yesterday, 12:57

LivinLOS, on 27 Aug 2014 - 12:52, said:
Does that mean for ED's its one year only and no ability to leave, get another ED and continue study..
It sort of reads that way or only consecutively 'for that entry' ??
This has been discussed in other topics. It means you need to leave and get a new ED visa and start another year.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/75 ... urn false;
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

c'mon, at this point the game is over, who is going thru all this hassle, Thailand is not the Eldorado, it's so easy to get long term visas in cambo, malaysia, vietnam ... and also in philippines you can extend up to 18 months, in Bali you can do visa runs to singapore.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

c'mon, at this point the game is over, who is going thru all this hassle, Thailand is not the Eldorado, it's so easy to get long term visas in cambo, malaysia, vietnam ... and also in philippines you can extend up to 18 months, in Bali you can do visa runs to singapore.
Don't worry, according to their latest pronouncement:
THE Tourism Authority of Thailand yesterday finalised its 2015 international campaign themed "Thainess Year", which is expected to help lure 29 million tourists who will generate revenue of Bt2.2 trillion.
they have added +4 - 5 million to their imaginary number, so that will offset any actual real drop in arrivals to the Land of Make Believe.

Before long, they will be talking about 30 million plus.

:beer2:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ is that like Zimbabwe dollars, now?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

StroppyChops wrote:^ is that like Zimbabwe dollars, now?
I have a couple 100 trillion dollar bills. A State dept guy gave 'em to me as a joke. Might be able to buy a paper clip w/them.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

wackyjacky wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:^ is that like Zimbabwe dollars, now?
I have a couple 100 trillion dollar bills. A State dept guy gave 'em to me as a joke. Might be able to buy a paper clip w/them.
Well, most of a paper clip. Did the State guy give you the notes in an elastic band?
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

No, the elastic band is worth money.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

wackyjacky wrote:No, the elastic band is worth money.
Shame.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic