Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Post by John Bingham »

TheSiemReaper wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am I saw two of them on bicycles recently here in SR. Thought they where Jehovahs witnesses. Same same but different I guess....
They are easily recognizable by their clothes. I don't believe Jehovah's Witnesses have any particular uniform. The LDS always cycle around in pairs, with the guys wearing white shirts and ties (cycling in a tie must be torture) and always helmets. The women aren't as common but they usually wear very dowdy-looking dresses and look very out-of-fashion. They often hang around outside their churches on 63/ 598 with signs/ leaflets offering free English lessons. I'm not at all into their beliefs but they are always friendly and cheerful. I find the "Kingdom City" crowd much more insidious.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Did they really cry with "joy"?

Two quick joy stories. When Ken and I were teaching for ACE in Snook, a Phillipina woman named Joy came to town and opened her own school. We were annoyed, as it was all the chatter with our students. One of them asked me, Mdme. Deb-o-rah, what's she going to name her school? Without a moment's hesitation, I said, "JOY school." Her name was, after all, Joy--which was very amusing to all of us. Basically the equivalent of having the last name of *f*ck."

The other joy story...a young cheeky student at ACE put his hand up and asked, "Do you know the greatest sadness for Cambodian monks and nuns? they never know the "joy" of marriage!"

Have a joyful day :D
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

LDS members aren’t forcing locals at gunpoint to convert or die. Neither are they telling the locals they are going to burn in hell because they believe in Budda.

Locals are choosing to join them because they lead by example. Whether one loves or hates it, there is something admirable about a foreigner who chooses to ride a bicycle, wears uncomfortable clothes, and speaks the local language. He leads by example. Enough that locals choose to join and tithe with them.

Is it brainwashing? No more than believing in budda, anti-Trump, or life in general.

To each his or her own ideas.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 am
Locals are choosing to join them because they lead by example. Whether one loves or hates it, there is something admirable about a foreigner who chooses to ride a bicycle, wears uncomfortable clothes, and speaks the local language. He leads by example. Enough that locals choose to join and tithe with them.
I've seen a few of the dregs of 172 riding a bicycle in uncomfortable clothes and thats not even thinking about some of the washed out teachers. Not sure they are seen as admirable
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

angkorjohn wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 am

I've seen a few of the dregs of 172 riding a bicycle in uncomfortable clothes and thats not even thinking about some of the washed out teachers. Not sure they are seen as admirable
If I'm not mistaken, BELTEI teachers are required to wear a white shirt on a specific day of the week. It's in their contract. In theory it should be hard to tell them apart from Mormon missionaries. However, the Mormon missionaries always travel in pairs whereas the BELTEI teachers are usually solo because not even a BELTEI teacher would want to be seen in public with a BELTEI teacher.
God
Omnipotent
Cambodia

Post by God »

Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

God wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:23 am https://youtu.be/KM1fXA2xGHQ?t=13
You let him in?
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
boom
Tourist

Post by boom »

boom
Tourist

Post by boom »

In the Video, it is showing how a Mormon missionary accepting a mission call to serve in Cambodia.
boom
Tourist

Post by boom »

Here is another one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic