Living in South East Asia on $400 USD a month?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: Living in South East Asia on $400 USD a month?

Post by Hotdigr »

Brody wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 pm
Tbh, Hotdigr sounds more like he's trying to convince himself than he is Felgerkarb.
Ummm... I've been living here for over 6 years on pretty much that budget. Not trying to convince anyone. I'm happy and so is my girl. That's all I give a shit about in the long run. I know guys spending 3 or 4 or more times as much that aren't happy.
:hattip:
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:59 pm
Hotdigr wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm normally work for 6 days a week minimum 9 hours a day.
fuck that!
So, what is it you do for over 1/2 the year back in the UK mate? :plus1:
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:47 pm

the west is very livable, i earn decent money and would have a very comfortable life in the UK, but for the most part its dull as fuck, the social side and atmosphere of living in S.E.Asia is what i enjoy
I agree with this sentiment.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Hotdigr wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Come over as a long term tourist ie: stay in a guesthouse rather then get an apartment, eat out every day, take a moto dop or tuk tuk everywhere rather then buy your own moto/car, take short term girlfriends, get into the readily available drugs, drink top shelf (cheap compared to "home"!) alcohol then you have no chance. But try living that same life in the west and you will be broke very very quickly also
You ask "do most westerners want to live this way"? In reality, my life really isn't that much different to what I had in Australia on a day to day basis.So, YES I am happy to live this way. I am missing out on nothing that I could get in Oz really.

Well put!
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

I said most, not YOU, or anyone in particular. I seriously doubt there is a significant majority of expat westerners who would choose this path, but more power to you if you do/did/are doing it. It is only going to get harder in the coming years as inflation continues and age creeps up on you and what is curable at a higher income level is a death sentence at 400 per month.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Felgerkarb wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:58 pm I said most, not YOU, or anyone in particular. I seriously doubt there is a significant majority of expat westerners who would choose this path, but more power to you if you do/did/are doing it. It is only going to get harder in the coming years as inflation continues and age creeps up on you and what is curable at a higher income level is a death sentence at 400 per month.
Well, that's no problem because expats generally die at 57.4 years old.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Felgerkarb wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:58 pm I said most, not YOU, or anyone in particular. I seriously doubt there is a significant majority of expat westerners who would choose this path, but more power to you if you do/did/are doing it. It is only going to get harder in the coming years as inflation continues and age creeps up on you and what is curable at a higher income level is a death sentence at 400 per month.
I may have worded it badly. I'm not stuck here on that much a month. That's simply what my particular lifestyle costs me on average.To put it another way - that's on average how much we spend each month. Not because we are restrained by income to that, simply because, well, that's what we spend! The rest of what we earn goes in the bank to be saved for old age, to cover the costs of inflation, for holidays, one off purchases/expenses etc.
Once again, I'm answering what was actually a fairly specific question. I did make some assumptions here knowing a little about Trapper too. He is a relatively young, relatively fit bloke who more then likely isn't thinking about living here forever. So health probably won't be an issue, old age and inflation won't really be either. So within those parameters, I will say, again, "Yes, you can live on $400 a month - just".
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Hotdigr wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:31 pm
Hotdigr wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm normally work for 6 days a week minimum 9 hours a day.
fuck that!
I love Jamie's set up. 6 months laying brick in the UK then 6 months laying pipe in SEA.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Brody wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:35 am
Hotdigr wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:31 pm
fuck that!
I love Jamie's set up. 6 months laying brick in the UK then 6 months laying pipe in SEA.
I agree w/ you. I actually spoke with Jamie about it because I do similar thing but only 2 months .... damn... thats not the same thing...he gets 4 more months of laying pipe..lol but for now its a 2 month pipe-fest
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

BklynBoy wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:12 am but for now its a 2 month pipe-fest
We're waiting for you Brooklyn Boy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic