8 Types of Expats You WILL Meet in Southeast Asia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

8 Types of Expats You WILL Meet in Southeast Asia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The Jaded Fempat.

By Neo The Nomad
September 2, 2018

The Sexpat
"This is the guy that bangs one to three girls a week (or even a day). His sole purpose of moving to Asia was to sleep with as many women as possible."

"Look for the guy swiping right on Tinder… while his date goes to the bathroom. He might also be drunk on a Tinder date."

The Jaded Fempat
"The jaded fempat is the sworn enemy of The Sexpat and The Family Man"

"The Fempat got tired of her spoiled existence in the matriarchy known as the western world for some unknown reason......Problem is she doesn’t have enough money to move to Europe."

The White Knight Expat
"This is one of the most aggravating expats I have to deal with. Especially because they’re unwavering defense of the locals comes off as a thinly veiled superiority complex. I mean, everyone knows that the Western world is better than Asia in every way possible (a few notable exceptions mentioned earlier). These expats just won’t admit it to you, me… or to themselves."

The Sketchy Expat
"He parties all the time, snorts cocaine off of hookers, has multiple threesomes a day, is perpetually drunk, and has a nice apartment.However, he never seems to work. When you ask him what he does, he just mumbles about something online and quickly changes the topic."

“How the fuck can this guy maintain his lifestyle without ever working?”

Full https://neothenomad.com/expat-types/
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 8 Types of Expats You WILL Meet in Southeast Asia

Post by phuketrichard »

must be 9 of them ( or more)
as I am not one of the 8 mentioned.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

I thought there were only 7 types.....or was that 7 reasons?

I can't keep track of all these inanely vapid and jaundiced generalization lists that do nothing more than inflate the authors ego as they pretend to be immersed in all the grittiness and nuance of expat culture whilst remaining disdainfully detached and above it all.

Here's number 9: The gap year twat that spent 6 months in SEA, volunteering, sucking at nitrous balloons and wistfully smoking beedi's whilst fantasizing of journalistic pursuits and what a great 3 part novel this experience will surely be.

Yawn
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

I think he needs to learn to count. :D

The 8 Types of Expats You WILL Meet in Southeast Asia
September 2, 2018By Neo12 Comments

I’ve been in Southeast Asia long enough to know most of the different types of expats that you will meet. This post breaks them down into seven different types. Not much more to say about the topic, let’s get to the post. https://neothenomad.com/expat-types/
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

8. The douchey guy who lives off his blog.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The Expat Here for Serious Business

This Expat is the only true expat on the list.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bobsboots »

There should be an extra group for Trapper. aka BITM, aka..... on second thoughts,though.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

What do these terribly precious, coffee slurping, free wifi and seat hogging, work shy " Nomads " actually contribute to a productive society ? What's the life plan, swan around SEA until they are 70 posting their super awesome observations on the quaint locals whilst not having done a hard days labour themselves. Surely at some point they have to pack up their drones, Macbooks and Iphones and wake up to the harsh reality of life. What are they actually going to be qualified to do the longer they leave it.

The only thing I can think that is worse is the people back home who actually become patrons, ( the equivalent of online begging in my humble opinion ), of their blogs and give them some of their hard earnt cash so they enjoy this lifestyle, talk about living life through someone else's experiences.

Didn't even read the list as it's been to death way before these unimaginative airheads arrived on the scene. Unfortunately they are becoming 1 group of people it's fast becoming impossible to avoid if you do trips around the region.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I didn’t make that list. When I think of the marvellous characters and friends I made in Phnom Penh they are all individuals and impossible to categorise.
Dilby
Expatriate
Argentina

Post by Dilby »

You forgot one (at least)

The aggressive, feminazi, young, bullying poster-child for NGOs

If I remember correctly CEO sent an Australian one down, but one out of how many?

More work is needed
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic