Kampong Reap Health Center Collapses into Mekong River

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kampong Cham, Cambodia News: On October 10, 2018,part of the Mekong river bank in Kampong Cham collapsed, taking with it the Kampong Reap health center in Koh Soten district. Fortunately, nobody was in the building at the time.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Kampong Reap Health Center Collapses into Mekong River

Post by explorer »

That is downstream from where they are removing sand from the river, approximately 10 km.

If you go upstream from where they are removing sand, there are obvious chunks of land falling into the river for at least 5 km. In the first kilometer upstream the river bank has eroded approximately 50 meters over several years. That is, the river is approximately 50 meters wider than it used to be. For anyone interested, it is a good time to have a look, now that the river level has dropped. There are huge chunks of land falling into the river. Be aware, there is water and mud to cross when going there, so you may want to ask someone in the Cham village to show you the way.

No doubt, removing sand from the river has had effects downstream also. It is difficult to know how much it contributed to this. There can be some natural erosion even when they are not removing sand.

Does anyone know how far the health center was from the edge of the river in the past?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Does anyone know how far the health center was from the edge of the river in the past?
Where exactly is it, I can't get any useful results searching so far?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:15 pm Where exactly is it, I can't get any useful results searching so far?
Approximately 10 km downstream from the large bridge in Kampong Cham. On the opposite side of the river from Kampong Cham.

Opposite Koh Pan. Over that side they call it Koh Sotin.

A little downstream from Koh Tmai.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Well, there's your problem. Image
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Fortunately, nobody was in the building at the time.

Someone should have called a doctor or ambulance from PP.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic