Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Yemen

Re: Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Post by John Bingham » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:14 pm

TheSiemReaper wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am
I saw two of them on bicycles recently here in SR. Thought they where Jehovahs witnesses. Same same but different I guess....
They are easily recognizable by their clothes. I don't believe Jehovah's Witnesses have any particular uniform. The LDS always cycle around in pairs, with the guys wearing white shirts and ties (cycling in a tie must be torture) and always helmets. The women aren't as common but they usually wear very dowdy-looking dresses and look very out-of-fashion. They often hang around outside their churches on 63/ 598 with signs/ leaflets offering free English lessons. I'm not at all into their beliefs but they are always friendly and cheerful. I find the "Kingdom City" crowd much more insidious.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Post by Cinnamoncat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:29 pm

Did they really cry with "joy"?

Two quick joy stories. When Ken and I were teaching for ACE in Snook, a Phillipina woman named Joy came to town and opened her own school. We were annoyed, as it was all the chatter with our students. One of them asked me, Mdme. Deb-o-rah, what's she going to name her school? Without a moment's hesitation, I said, "JOY school." Her name was, after all, Joy--which was very amusing to all of us. Basically the equivalent of having the last name of *f*ck."

The other joy story...a young cheeky student at ACE put his hand up and asked, "Do you know the greatest sadness for Cambodian monks and nuns? they never know the "joy" of marriage!"

Have a joyful day :D
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 am

LDS members aren’t forcing locals at gunpoint to convert or die. Neither are they telling the locals they are going to burn in hell because they believe in Budda.

Locals are choosing to join them because they lead by example. Whether one loves or hates it, there is something admirable about a foreigner who chooses to ride a bicycle, wears uncomfortable clothes, and speaks the local language. He leads by example. Enough that locals choose to join and tithe with them.

Is it brainwashing? No more than believing in budda, anti-Trump, or life in general.

To each his or her own ideas.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 am

newkidontheblock wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 am

Locals are choosing to join them because they lead by example. Whether one loves or hates it, there is something admirable about a foreigner who chooses to ride a bicycle, wears uncomfortable clothes, and speaks the local language. He leads by example. Enough that locals choose to join and tithe with them.
I've seen a few of the dregs of 172 riding a bicycle in uncomfortable clothes and thats not even thinking about some of the washed out teachers. Not sure they are seen as admirable
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:11 am

angkorjohn wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 am

I've seen a few of the dregs of 172 riding a bicycle in uncomfortable clothes and thats not even thinking about some of the washed out teachers. Not sure they are seen as admirable
If I'm not mistaken, BELTEI teachers are required to wear a white shirt on a specific day of the week. It's in their contract. In theory it should be hard to tell them apart from Mormon missionaries. However, the Mormon missionaries always travel in pairs whereas the BELTEI teachers are usually solo because not even a BELTEI teacher would want to be seen in public with a BELTEI teacher.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:32 am

God wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:23 am
https://youtu.be/KM1fXA2xGHQ?t=13
You let him in?
The world is one big madhouse and this site is the head office :beer3:
boom
Tourist

Post by boom » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:08 pm

boom
Tourist

Post by boom » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:12 pm

In the Video, it is showing how a Mormon missionary accepting a mission call to serve in Cambodia.
boom
Tourist

Post by boom » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Here is another one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic