Living in South East Asia on $400 USD a month?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Living in South East Asia on $400 USD a month?

Post by Brody »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:47 pmsocial side and atmosphere in S.E.Asia is what i enjoy
Ahhh, which one is 'social side' and which one is 'atmosphere'?

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Brody wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:47 pmsocial side and atmosphere in S.E.Asia is what i enjoy
Ahhh, which one's social side and which one's atmosphere?

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

BKKTRAPPER wins again

10 page thread.....
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Obviously totally doable, since minimum wage is far lower in this region...but do most westerners want to live that way?
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Felgerkarb wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:50 pm Obviously totally doable, since minimum wage is far lower in this region...but do most westerners want to live that way?
Im guessing it depends on priorities.

What you want is not exactly what the next man wants felderberg.....
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Felgerkarb wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:50 pm Obviously totally doable, since minimum wage is far lower in this region...but do most westerners want to live that way?
I would respectfully ask you to read my original post with the "budget" in it and ,taking into consideration that I have a been in a long term (6 year) relationship so don't go to girlie bars or stay out late, normally work for 6 days a week minimum 9 hours a day. That obviously makes things cheaper, but it also establishing a real life.Tell me what is different from the same sort of lifestyle in the west? I eat good food, go out every afternoon for a couple of beers with my mates, drink some more at home, eat a good quality steak regularly smoke a pack of cigs a day (fukn stupid I know, but its a c"nt of an addiction). Ok, we spend a bit more then that every month, because we can. But the question was basically "Can you live in SEA on $400 a month"? While my answer is Cambodia specific, I truly believe you can and have a decent life. Providing you set yourself up for a real life.
Come over as a long term tourist ie: stay in a guesthouse rather then get an apartment, eat out every day, take a moto dop or tuk tuk everywhere rather then buy your own moto/car, take short term girlfriends, get into the readily available drugs, drink top shelf (cheap compared to "home"!) alcohol then you have no chance. But try living that same life in the west and you will be broke very very quickly also
You ask "do most westerners want to live this way"? In reality, my life really isn't that much different to what I had in Australia on a day to day basis.So, YES I am happy to live this way. I am missing out on nothing that I could get in Oz really.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

I agree with this^^

Depends on what you are here for. I spend roughly $500pm. Mainly eat at home as i enjoy cooking, go out a coulple of times per week.

I am sure this could be brought down to $400 without sacrificing too much. The issue would be the lack of flexibility and the absence of holidays (if the $400 was all you had).

I manage to afford a bottle of decent liquor every month, some beers, good food decent wifi and tuk tuks around town. The thing that costs the money are the imported goods. If you are willing to cook for yourself and eat seasonally you can have some great food for fuck all

Also havent factored in visa and wp.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Hotdigr wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 pm normally work for 6 days a week minimum 9 hours a day.
fuck that!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

This.

Threads like this are idiotic. The question is far too subjective, especially considering the varying assortment of truculent shitheads meandering this forum.

It all depends on how much suckage one is willing to embrace. Some would parish the thought of being without aircon, whilst I'm sure those of Felgers ilk could be content with a palm frond for shade, a dumbbell and a months supply of syringes filled with bull semen.

Tbh, Hotdigr sounds more like he's trying to convince himself than he is Felgerkarb.

This whole thread = how long is a piece of string?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Brody wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 pm how long is a piece of string?
100+ pages, apparently.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic