Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:43 pm
Reputation: 75
Cambodia

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by Beerinthemorning » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:40 am

Remember that barang who accidently killed the khmer after chasing him down back in the day.
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 4717
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1110
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by hanno » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:50 am

TOG wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 pm
a little local justice goes a long way to solving the problems.
It does? I hadn’t noticed. Just like capital punishment, mob justice has no impact on crime rates. And the people beating down thieves do not do it because of some sense of civic duty but because there is nothing like venting one’s frustrations without fear of retribution.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Posts: 1460
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 pm
Reputation: 408
Australia

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by epidemiks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:23 am

TOG wrote:@ epidemiks

Calm down dear, it's only a forum. You will get your knickers in a twist. Have a glass of whine.

And yes, I have been to Cambodia many times and yes, I have also been involved in stopping thieves running out of a shop and I have been in the line of fire many times while in the army (NI and Falklands) and as a civilian contractor in Iraq in 2004. Looking after your colleagues is number one priority.

I would not even hesitate to tackle anyone who was acting under such circumstances. However, you are very welcome to simply stand and watch like many other rubber neckers while people are robbed or murdered.
Image

What a hero.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 9773
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 1515
Tokelau

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by Anchor Moy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Sure, Cambodia needs more vigilantes :mob: Especially foreign ones.
User avatar
TOG
Expatriate
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm
Reputation: 280
Location: Yorkshire and Singapore
Singapore

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by TOG » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:25 pm

epidemiks wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:23 am
TOG wrote:@ epidemiks

Calm down dear, it's only a forum. You will get your knickers in a twist. Have a glass of whine.

And yes, I have been to Cambodia many times and yes, I have also been involved in stopping thieves running out of a shop and I have been in the line of fire many times while in the army (NI and Falklands) and as a civilian contractor in Iraq in 2004. Looking after your colleagues is number one priority.

I would not even hesitate to tackle anyone who was acting under such circumstances. However, you are very welcome to simply stand and watch like many other rubber neckers while people are robbed or murdered.
Image

What a hero.
No, just an ordinary guy who would not stand around when others are in trouble.

This current liberal world has produced too many pacifistic by-standers who would rather criminals got away with it rather than confront them.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
epidemiks
Expatriate
Posts: 1460
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 pm
Reputation: 408
Australia

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by epidemiks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:49 pm

TOG wrote:
epidemiks wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:23 am
TOG wrote:@ epidemiks

Calm down dear, it's only a forum. You will get your knickers in a twist. Have a glass of whine.

And yes, I have been to Cambodia many times and yes, I have also been involved in stopping thieves running out of a shop and I have been in the line of fire many times while in the army (NI and Falklands) and as a civilian contractor in Iraq in 2004. Looking after your colleagues is number one priority.

I would not even hesitate to tackle anyone who was acting under such circumstances. However, you are very welcome to simply stand and watch like many other rubber neckers while people are robbed or murdered.
Image

What a hero.
No, just an ordinary guy who would not stand around when others are in trouble.

This current liberal world has produced too many pacifistic by-standers who would rather criminals got away with it rather than confront them.
The indolent locals will surely see their folly in embracing the post-modernist ravings of the feminist and soy boy globalists when you return with your band of vigilantes and set about making the night safe once more.
User avatar
imiss.you
Tourist
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:56 am
Reputation: 1

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by imiss.you » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:11 pm

hanno wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:45 pm
TOG wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 pm
I am sure that there are many of us who think that this type of justice is how things should be. Caught red handed with absolutely no doubt as to guilt or innocence, the people have spoken and that is democracy at work.
I don’t actually think that. Mob justice is a sign of the police and authorities failing.
You are absolutely right
User avatar
TOG
Expatriate
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm
Reputation: 280
Location: Yorkshire and Singapore
Singapore

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by TOG » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:33 pm

epidemiks wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:49 pm
The indolent locals will surely see their folly in embracing the post-modernist ravings of the feminist and soy boy globalists when you return with your band of vigilantes and set about making the night safe once more.
So do you think that vigilante groups such as the Gulabi Gang, the Red Brigade, the Guardian Angles and the Perv Busters should all be disbanded as they are not official law enforcers?
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
epidemiks
Expatriate
Posts: 1460
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:56 pm
Reputation: 408
Australia

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by epidemiks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:02 pm


TOG wrote:
epidemiks wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:49 pm
The indolent locals will surely see their folly in embracing the post-modernist ravings of the feminist and soy boy globalists when you return with your band of vigilantes and set about making the night safe once more.
So do you think that vigilante groups such as the Gulabi Gang, the Red Brigade, the Guardian Angles and the Perv Busters should all be disbanded as they are not official law enforcers?
Nice strawman.
User avatar
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Posts: 2511
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am
Reputation: 735
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Locals Smackdown Thieves Bag-Snatching from Westerners on St 172, Phnom Penh

Post by Cam Nivag » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Beerinthemorning wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:40 am
Remember that barang who accidently killed the khmer after chasing him down back in the day.
What? Who/when?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: atst, chiaojiang, Cruisemonkey, Ghostwriter, J21H21, Kinetic, lipservice, lurcio, Majestic-12 [Bot], Pedroviera, ron100, simon43 and 542 guests