Living in South East Asia on $400 USD a month?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Living in South East Asia on $400 USD a month?

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Duncan wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:19 am Well after a 4 weeks stay in OZ I'm finding the cost of food here cheaper and a better variety and quality than Cambodia. Here's some of the basics I buy.
Bread 750 g, $3,50,,,, yogurt 950 g $4,50,,,, milk $2,,,, 3 litre juice $3,50.,, If you convert those prices to USA dollars there is a big difference.

A large roasted chicken $ 9 ,, Dominoes Value ham and cheese pizza $5. Image

Ham,beef and cheese pie $4.20

If a person had to pay for accommodation , elec and a few other basics [ which I dont ] then one would be better off in SEA,
Meat pie and pizza.

The first two things i buy when i arrive in OZ.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Haha one thing i liked about Oz was the $2.75 bottles of red wine in Aldi haha good for smashing a couple of bottles pre drinks before going out and having to then pay $10-15 a pint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:Haha one thing i liked about Oz was the $2.75 bottles of red wine in Aldi haha good for smashing a couple of bottles pre drinks before going out and having to then pay $10-15 a pint

Also the $5 basic large pizza deals at pizzahut/dominos were also a bargain

cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: living in SEA on 400USD$ a month?

Post by cautious colin »

TOG wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:35 am
The requirements probably rule out 99% of the ex pats living in Thailand and Cambodia.

Visa is valid for 10 years

MM2H Applicants aged below 50 years old:

Must maintain a minimum balance of RM150,000 from second year onwards and throughout stay in Malaysia under this programme.
ii) MM2H Applicants aged 50 years and above:

Must maintain a minimum balance of RM100,000 throughout their stay in Malaysia under this programme.
99%, really? Equates to keeping $35k in the bank if under 50 and $25k if over 50. Surely 40% of people living in Thailand & Cambodia have those kind of savings. Maybe I am overestimating the wealth of expats.

Would be annoying if that had to be in a standard low interest account though.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 am
TOG wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:35 am
The requirements probably rule out 99% of the ex pats living in Thailand and Cambodia.

Visa is valid for 10 years

MM2H Applicants aged below 50 years old:

Must maintain a minimum balance of RM150,000 from second year onwards and throughout stay in Malaysia under this programme.
ii) MM2H Applicants aged 50 years and above:

Must maintain a minimum balance of RM100,000 throughout their stay in Malaysia under this programme.
99%, really? Equates to keeping $35k in the bank if under 50 and $25k if over 50. Surely 40% of people living in Thailand & Cambodia have those kind of savings. Maybe I am overestimating the wealth of expats.

Would be annoying if that had to be in a standard low interest account though.
Judging by the ex pats I have met over the years and by the various forums, there are not many who would be prepared to leave $35K in a local bank just for the privilege of living in a country where double pricing is the norm. Most like to use visa runs and pension income as a means to obtain their visas. For sure many would have larger savings, but back in their home country.

It would be interesting to know how many ex pats in Thailand use savings and how many use pension income and how many use visa runs. No way of knowing this but my money would be on pensions and visa runs are the majority.

As of 2017 the following stats applied to Malaysia. Not exactly a mind blowing number of people. I would however agree that this would ensure a higher quality of ex pats rather than the usual beer swilling, whore mongering OAPs....( :stir: )

Since 2002 China remains the top participating country, with almost 8,714 approved participants, followed by Japan with 4,225; Bangladesh 3,546; the United Kingdom 2,412, lran 1,336, Singapore 1,295, Taiwan 1,208, South Korea 1,266, Pakistan 973, and lndia 890.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

TOG wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:37 pm
It would be interesting to know how many ex pats in Thailand use savings and how many use pension income and how many use visa runs. No way of knowing this but my money would be on pensions and visa runs are the majority.
We should know the number of Brits using pension income in the next few weeks as someone has requested this information under the Freedom of Information Act in light of the announcement the British Embassy won't issue income verification letters anymore. I'm curious how many retired Brits are living in Thailand and the split on savings versus income methods for visa renewal.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:20 pm We should know the number of Brits using pension income in the next few weeks as someone has requested this information under the Freedom of Information Act in light of the announcement the British Embassy won't issue income verification letters anymore. I'm curious how many retired Brits are living in Thailand and the split on savings versus income methods for visa renewal.
That will be very interesting. Make sure it surfaces on this forum in case I miss it. Well done.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i'd say of the people i know in Phuket, Bangkok, Pattaya about 50% use 800,000
the other 50 are split between the combo or pension for extensions.
Except for 2 guys i know in CM that pay an agent 22,000 cause they dont have the $$ or pension.
I dont know anyone living in the country that does visa runs unless their on a 1 year multiple marriage Visa
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:21 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote:Haha one thing i liked about Oz was the $2.75 bottles of red wine in Aldi haha good for smashing a couple of bottles pre drinks before going out and having to then pay $10-15 a pint

The west becomes more and more livable when comparing current issues in SEA.

Its just too expensive for whats on offer, plus the locals in SEA still have the mentality that we are rich like we were a decade ago.....

They still believe westerners are all milionaires even with begpacker after begpackers lining most big asia city streets.

IMHO better just have enough to live a minimalist life IN SEA and nothing under that plus a small budget for extra curriculum activities sobyou dontbrot your liver or get into the pharmaceuticals drugs like the rest of em.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:24 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:21 am

The west becomes more and more livable when comparing current issues in SEA.

Its just too expensive for whats on offer, plus the locals in SEA still have the mentality that we are rich like we were a decade ago.....

They still believe westerners are all milionaires even with begpacker after begpackers lining most big asia city streets.

IMHO better just have enough to live a minimalist life IN SEA and nothing under that plus a small budget for extra curriculum activities sobyou dontbrot your liver or get into the pharmaceuticals drugs like the rest of em.
the west is very livable, i earn decent money and would have a very comfortable life in the UK, but for the most part its dull as fuck, the social side and atmosphere of living in S.E.Asia is what i enjoy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic