Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Post by Yobbo »

I meet a Utah/Mormon in Sinville years ago, interesting fellow.
He was wounded in the Vietnam war & was lucky to be alive.
His congregation were pissed because he married a Cambodian Buddhist but that could easily be over looked providing your paying your 10% tithing, specially when your a retired heart surgeon!

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Post by Jerry Atrick »

The LDS in Cambodia are harmless enough, and at least they learn the language before arrival.

Better than the glazed eye christian fundamentalist crowd around here nowadays (American bible belt flavour).
Dilby
Expatriate
Argentina

Post by Dilby »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:30 am The LDS in Cambodia are harmless enough, and at least they learn the language before arrival.

Better than the glazed eye christian fundamentalist crowd around here nowadays (American bible belt flavour).
What is their motive for learning the language?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

So they can cycle around like half-broiled penguins and get laughed at while trying to get people to come worship with them
Dilby
Expatriate
Argentina

Post by Dilby »

Yet the strategy works: 'the bigger the lie, the easier it is to accept' The BBC or some such equivalent institution
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ok, temples are a big part of their religion. They seem to be extremely large and ugly churches. Should blend right in with the recent architecture in Phnom Penh.
The Latter Day Saint movement was conceived as a restoration of practices believed to have been lost in a Great Apostasy from the true gospel of Jesus Christ. Temple worship played a prominent role in the Bible's Old Testament, and in the Book of Mormon.[3]

Latter Day Saints see temples as the fulfillment of a prophecy found in Malachi 3:1 (KJV): "Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me; and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts." It is believed to emphasize that when the Jesus comes again, he will come "to his temple."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_(L ... ay_Saints)
TheSiemReaper
Expatriate
Haiti

Post by TheSiemReaper »

I saw two of them on bicycles recently here in SR. Thought they where Jehovahs witnesses. Same same but different I guess....
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

TheSiemReaper wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am I saw two of them on bicycles recently here in SR. Thought they where Jehovahs witnesses. Same same but different I guess....
Key difference is these ones can have a blood transfusion when they get knocked off their bikes.

Often see these guys and gals cycling around. Agree that they are better than the new wave of Christians clogging up TTP (not Stroppy). But still, any conversion by coercion is no good. I wonder what their hard sell is? I once was driving up 63 and some guy was handing out the leaflets in the traffic Jam. He tried to offer me one which I gave him a "seriously?" look. I then told the lady in front in Khmer it was a cult and no good, forgot they learned the lingo as well :lol:

Anyway, it's a strange old religion, didn't the founder admit he made up finding the new commandments? and instead of building these ugly big buildings decked in gold they should put the money to better use helping folks than bothering them to change their belief system that has been happily embedded here for about 10 times longer than Mormonism has been around.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Is the BS bout the guy who finds these plates? :please:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:30 am The LDS in Cambodia are harmless enough, and at least they learn the language before arrival.

Many of the other Christian missionaries here also learn a high level of Khmer before coming over.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic