Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian members ‘full of joy’ with temple announcement
October 8, 2018
Many tourists travel to the fascinating country of Cambodia to visit Angkor Wat, an ancient Buddhist temple which used to be one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

But now, a new temple, of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, will be built in Phnom Penh to “make Cambodia even more beautiful,” according to church member Ouk Mara.

During the closing session of General Conference on Oct. 7, President Russell M. Nelson made a significant announcement that 12 new temples will be built in various locations around the world, including four countries receiving temples for the first time: Cape Verde, Guam, Puerto Rico and Cambodia.

In reaction to the announcement, people were in awe that the country would finally have its own temple, especially people in Cambodia.

Yin Sreyleak, a member from Siem Reap, Cambodia, was at work when she heard the news.

“I could not stop crying and smiling because the house of the Lord will be built in Cambodia,” she said. “I called my mom. She was curious why I was crying, and I told her that a temple will be built in Cambodia … soon. She was so happy. This feeling is the same feeling I had when my family and I got baptized. I am just full of joy.”

Phirun Amreth LeGrand was stationed in the country’s capital, Phnom Penh, throughout the conference sessions to translate them into the Khmer language.

“When President Nelson announced it, I wept with joy while one of my interpretation associates was speaking for him,” he said. “I feel that we are loved by our Heavenly Father.”
https://universe.byu.edu/2018/10/08/cam ... ncement-1/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Post by Barang chgout »

Lunatics.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Cambodians Cry with Joy: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Build Temple in Phnom Penh

Post by khmerhamster »

There several Mormon churches in PP already?
There is one on 598 near RUPP and another on St 63 BKK.

Is a temple different to a church?

The Mormon foreign workers have an incredible commitment to learning language. I’ve met several over the years who speak fantastic Khmer.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

I can't see how a religion that compels it members to ride bicycles appeals to any Cambodians.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

What's new ?: Mormons in the Cambodian Media in 2012.

The next Mormon crusade: Cambodia
Claire Knox | Publication date 02 November 2012 | 01:35 ICT

The James' are an alarmingly charming pair.
Dennis, a broad, silver-haired and dapper former marine and commercial pilot from Pleasant Grove, Utah and his wife Kandi, an ash-blonde bob soccer mum in a figure-hugging suit, have lived in Phnom Penh sans their six children for seven months now.

“You can call me Dennis, or Chip, or Elder James,” he turns around and says with a wink and hearty chortle.
The pin drops.

There’s the reference that has seen many doors slammed in the couple’s faces.

The couple are missionaries. Proselyters. “Teachers,” they say. They are part of a group of 140 Latter-day Saints – or LDS as Dennis declares – Mormons currently preaching in Cambodia.

Forty of those are local Cambodians recruited to the “mission”, while around 60 are young, predominantly American men in their early twenties. (A total of 28 of these are young women – men are expected to go on a mission before marriage while women are not, yet with many delaying marriage, there has been a increase, the James’ say.)

The James’ are joined by a further 38 “more senior” missionaries in the Kingdom, promoting the church and its programs and keeping an eye on the youngsters.

“We do get called in to inspect the young missionaries’ rooms – they’re just a bunch a guys after all,” Kandi laughs, “we hate doing it but we can’t have them getting sick from the mess.”

Dennis and Kandi say they have been “called” by Jesus to work in the Kingdom for 18 months as Public Affairs officers for the church. They are PR naturals, although neither has had any experience.

“The cool thing about being a missionary is that these young people know how to be turned down… you learn about rejection and how to do business… it’s hard and sure is good for character… our church isn’t one that’s just a Sunday religion, it’s an all-consuming one, one that you practice everyday,” Kandi says.

The membership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Cambodia peaked this year at over 14,000, with a steady stream of members recruited to the church each year, according to Cambodia Mission President David Moon. In 2009, there were 432 new Mormons in Cambodia, and since then the figure has risen to 600 new members per year.

All members of the church pay a tithing: 10 per cent of their income.

“The poorest of Khmers still do pay it and it pays for them to make that sacrifice – you hear of all the blessings and miracles that happen – we’ve seen people get jobs or come into money, it’s so fun to see them work,” Kandi says.

Moon maintains the Mormons are contributing significantly to the development of the country. According to LDS Cambodia figures, the church has injected over $9 million in aid and humanitarian projects since their arrival in the Kindgom in 1994.

Yet proselyting remains the main gig...
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/7days/nex ... e-cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

it’s so fun to see them work,” Kandi says.
Can you teach them to fetch too?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ricky Dunn »

A sick evil cult that should be banned everywhere.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:29 pm There several Mormon churches in PP already?

I think they are building a Buddhist pagoda not Mormon temple or church.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

fax wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:07 am
khmerhamster wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:29 pm There several Mormon churches in PP already?

I think they are building a Buddhist pagoda not Mormon temple or church.
I could not stop crying and smiling because the house of the Lord will be built in Cambodia
I very much doubt a group of devout christians will be building a buddhist temple in PP. Would gladly be wrong though.

the spread of christianity in Cambodia, in all of its weird and not so wonderful forms, frustrates me. More how it happens than that it is.
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

Despite I'm not religious, I believe in freedom of religion, but any missionary activity is an insult to some one they try to convert.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic