Living in South East Asia on $400 USD a month?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Living in South East Asia on $400 USD a month?

Post by Kampoochie »

Doable but sounds miserable.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Kampoochie wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 pm Doable but sounds miserable.
Read my post again. Far from miserable. You get out for a few beers with your mates EVERY day and another 1/2 dozen at home, pack of smokes a day, have TV, internet, a decent room, not a hovel. eat imported steak at least once a week and good quality meat every other day,have the independence of running your own moto etc. If you work for an average 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, spend 2 hours in the pub and 8 hours sleeping, that only leaves you 6 hours a day to kill on the net, watching TV or in my case, reading, cooking, cleaning etc. What is miserable about it?
Oh, I s'pose its miserable if your life completely revolves around hooker bars and hookers and/or drugs, but mine doesn't. That's the real secret, even more so then cooking for yourself - get a fukin real life!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Hotdigr wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:50 pm Oh, I s'pose its miserable if your life completely revolves around hooker bars and hookers - get a fukin real life!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

Hotdigr wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:50 pm
Kampoochie wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 pm Doable but sounds miserable.
Read my post again. Far from miserable. You get out for a few beers with your mates EVERY day and another 1/2 dozen at home, pack of smokes a day, have TV, internet, a decent room, not a hovel. eat imported steak at least once a week and good quality meat every other day,have the independence of running your own moto etc. If you work for an average 8 hours a day, 6 days a week, spend 2 hours in the pub and 8 hours sleeping, that only leaves you 6 hours a day to kill on the net, watching TV or in my case, reading, cooking, cleaning etc. What is miserable about it?
Oh, I s'pose its miserable if your life completely revolves around hooker bars and hookers and/or drugs, but mine doesn't. That's the real secret, even more so then cooking for yourself - get a fukin real life!
If your life completely revolves around buying a Fabergé egg everyday and then smashing it and crying in the bathtub, oh, I s'pose its miserable! But my life definitely does NOT revolve around that very specific thing that nobody else brought up! Not one bit! NOT! ONE! BIT!
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: living in SEA on 400USD$ a month?

Post by k*rm*geddon »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:26 pm … Presently I'm living in Johor Bahru, Malaysia ... My current lifestyle is costing me $500. Malaysia is growing on me a lot as I'm finding my patience for the noise, personal intrusions, incompetence and general fucktardery experienced in other SEA countries more trying as I get older.
Malaysia has been rated the second-best retirement location for Westerners.
MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: living in SEA on 400USD$ a month?

Post by TOG »

k*rm*geddon wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:04 am Malaysia has been rated the second-best retirement location for Westerners.
At a very high price.

The requirements probably rule out 99% of the ex pats living in Thailand and Cambodia.

Visa is valid for 10 years

MM2H Applicants aged below 50 years old:

Must place a Fixed Deposit in a bank account in Malaysia of RM300,000
Can withdraw up to RM150,000 for the purchase of house, medical insurance or children’s education expenses after the deposit has been placed for one year
Applicants can use their car purchase grant to withdraw part of their Fixed Deposit after two years.
Must maintain a minimum balance of RM150,000 from second year onwards and throughout stay in Malaysia under this programme.Car purchase (copy of Car Grant issued by the Road Transport Department. Receipt of booking fee is NOT ACCEPTED)

ii) MM2H Applicants aged 50 years and above:

Must place a Fixed Deposit in a bank account in Malaysia of RM150,000
Can withdraw up to RM50,000 of the fixed deposit after one year to purchase of house, medical insurance or children’s education expenses.
Applicants can use their car purchase grant to withdraw part of their Fixed Deposit after two years.
Must maintain a minimum balance of RM100,000 throughout their stay in Malaysia under this programme.Car purchase (copy of Car Grant issued by the Road Transport Department. Receipt of booking fee is NOT ACCEPTED)

Local price and foreigner price really have to be seen to be believed. There are many YouTube examples of how apartments are advertised at a price and then when a foreigner comes along, the price doubles. Our recent holiday in Penang really drove home the cost for foreigners. Often a 4:1 ratio of costs on public items such as the funicula.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
JohnLeonard
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by JohnLeonard »

You can do, depends on your lifestyle, i use to live on 200USD in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
I shared apartment with friends and we were 5 people 3 rooms, i had the small room, others stayed 2 person in a room.
I had excess money to go watch movie once a month, although cooking at home by sharing but still went weekends to the local restaurant to watch soccer / football and eat dinner and soft drinks there.
Cat playing her favorite game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD7_GRm4xR8
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Malaysia

PROS

hot mixed raced asian women

Weed is quite common and cheap.

!no alcoholic culture

Best indian food on the planet

Cheap soft drink/ fruit.

Currency not too strong.

Locals leave westermers alone.

Easy to stay sober.

Work is available

CONS

Heavy muslim influence

Alcohol taxes high.

Boring

Locals dont mix out of there race (segregation).

Racism is bad.

Semi Retarded/ braindead locals

The streets are not clean.

Taxis prices surge in the night time.

GST

Scammers
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Well after a 4 weeks stay in OZ I'm finding the cost of food here cheaper and a better variety and quality than Cambodia. Here's some of the basics I buy.
Bread 750 g, $3,50,,,, yogurt 950 g $4,50,,,, milk $2,,,, 3 litre juice $3,50.,, If you convert those prices to USA dollars there is a big difference.

A large roasted chicken $ 9 ,, Dominoes Value ham and cheese pizza $5. Image

Ham,beef and cheese pie $4.20

If a person had to pay for accommodation , elec and a few other basics [ which I dont ] then one would be better off in SEA,
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic