Transfer in Argentina/Brazil on the way to Bolivia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Is baggage collection always inside the transfer area?

Post by walkjivefly »

britscienceteacher wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pmI don't need a travel agent - just somebody who can get reasonable internet search results, I can't.
Are you really a science teacher?
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Transfer in Argentina/Brazil on the way to Bolivia

Post by TWY »

It comes down to whether or not you've purchased a single ticket that contains multiple airlines, or if you've purchased two tickets on two separate airlines.

If you've purchased a single ticket, you can transit and stay "airside" and not need a visa (except in special circumstances where a country requires a transit visa for certain nationalities) and not collect your luggage.

If you purchase two separate tickets, then you need to ensure the visa requirements for the country as you will have to enter the country if only to go to baggage claim and collect your bags and then to and wait to check into your next flight. IF you decide to do this option, make sure you leave MANY hours between flights. I have on occasion flown through Manila on two separate tickets to save a decent amount of money and I usually try to leave at least 9 hours. Also, on the immigration form I write in the local address section that I'm simply transiting (don't make something up) and I say the same when leaving the country after checking into the next flight.

Also, be aware that if your on two separate TICKETS, and something goes wrong - the 2nd airline isn't going to help you out. They will force you to purchase a new ticket. Doesn't matter if airline ABC delayed their flight 5 times and caused you to be 8 hours late. Airline XYZ will shrug their shoulders and say you didn't show up and no longer have a ticket on our airline. Many many years ago you used to be able to have a friendly ticket agent at the airport check your luggage through on a 2nd flight on another airline provided you had the itinerary - but I think 9/11 ended that practice.

If you purchase one ticket then the two airlines combined have to sort something out for you (they have inter-airline ticketing agreements). It will sometimes be a massive headache but as long as you stick to your guns and are patient you'll end up getting where you need to go.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Transfer in Argentina/Brazil on the way to Bolivia

Post by TWY »

I don't know your visa situation, but would strongly recommend you consider going from Dallas Texas or Miami Florida.

AA flies to many South American cities and has a large Latin America partnership - and the competition with Latin American carriers keeps the cost reasonable. I remember getting to almost anywhere in South America for about $1000 roundtrip. Usually you can get to the US from PP/Siem Reap on Chinese carriers for about $1000-$1500 depending on final destination in the USA

Stay a night or two in Dallas or Miami and then fly to La Paz.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Is baggage collection always inside the transfer area?

Post by Barang chgout »

walkjivefly wrote:
britscienceteacher wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pmI don't need a travel agent - just somebody who can get reasonable internet search results, I can't.
Are you really a science teacher?
Science teachers are poor.
Many science teachers throw their trash on the ground.
Some words in science do not have English equivalents.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic