Thai visa crackdown

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by wackyjacky »

OK, but is the Nation article relevant or not ? I've got friends teaching in BKK and they're looking to hump it over to VN right now.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if there teaching.
do they have a work permit?
if so they are fine
if not....

what visas are they in Thailand on?
if they dont have a wp an there coming and going in and out of Thailand every 30 days
their shit out of luck
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Maybe they'll force the schools to apply for work permits - most don't. I have a hard time throwing away this quote though:................ Prayuth said the change of the visa system concerning visa runners had considerably affected certain groups such as English teachers and academics.

"So, this is an ongoing problem that needs to be resolved, as it can lead to a shortage of English teachers and guides," he said during his weekly TV programme.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wackyjacky wrote:Maybe they'll force the schools to apply for work permits - most don't. I have a hard time throwing away this quote though:................ Prayuth said the change of the visa system concerning visa runners had considerably affected certain groups such as English teachers and academics.

"So, this is an ongoing problem that needs to be resolved, as it can lead to a shortage of English teachers and guides," he said during his weekly TV programme.
WP's are the responsibility of the employee not the employer,
BUT if the school is legal the employer needs supply all paperwork

Many schools do not wish to for various reasons.

Also if a teacher is caught teaching without a wp both he an the employer are fined, although the employee is additionally arrested and thrown out of the country.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

This article states that it's up to the employer & sums it up nicely: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/investi ... of-the-run
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

even if this crackdown is over they already scared off a lot of farangs so the damage has been done and now they're looking for greener pastures.

all the thais have got is to show once again that you cannot trust the thais and that at any time without warning they could boot you out, thailand is unstable and is not a place where you want to invest long term or settle down.

backtracking after two weeks only demonstrate how much even the new junta is already corrupt and corruptable.

i can't believe there are tens of thousands of farangs who are doing visa run every 30 days since years, it's crazy unless you live near the border.
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

phuketrichard wrote:if there teaching.
do they have a work permit?
if so they are fine
if not....

what visas are they in Thailand on?
if they dont have a wp an there coming and going in and out of Thailand every 30 days
their shit out of luck
are serious ?

in the rest of asia when you get hired you sign a contract and they provide you with a working visa, end of the story.

why the fuck thailand has to be special and making a mess of everything they touch ? what the fuck is so difficult in doing things as the rest of the world ?

i'll tell you why, they hate foreigners with a passion, they do all they can to make our life miserable, even if you marry, even if you're retired, even if you're a rich tourist on a spending spree, no matter what they'll make sure you won't come back soon.

and you know why they hate us, i mean it's so obvious how inferior are the thais in pretty much any field, if the normal market economy was at work the thais would be outsmarted even by the Lao and the Khmer !

their only option is protectionism, racism, xenophobia, propaganda, and indoctrination, but it won't last long, thailand will finally go back where it belong, the laughing stock of south east asia.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

If it's such a big issue for teachers as it clearly is, by the law of averages their must be a lot of them going to the border every day and coming back with first hand knowledge of what is actually happening on the ground. They must be sharing that knowledge with their colleagues and in the same social circles so that they can make their own educated judgement as to whether to stay or move on.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

it is a big issue for thailand too.
probably the biggest reason for the backdown.
say what you want about the thai- they do value education, and eng lang.
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

frank lee bent wrote:they do value education
oh really ? try asking them a few super basic questions .. or spotting bangkok on a thai map ... ask them where their own alphabet comes from, or who built this or that city and how and where ..

they're all fucking clueless, especially about things related to Thailand !
and what's worse, they don't give a shit and have zero curiosity.

now you'll tell me you know doctors and engineers and PhDs, ok i've had good doctors too and i don't deny it and they studied abroad and were professional, but these guys are barely the 1% elite, the average street thai can barely read and write and sending SMS.

the whole country is kept together with strings and sellotape.
first they crackdown on visas, then they make exceptions for the chinese, then they "relax" the rules for the english teachers, and what's next they've no fucking idea, as much as i'm critic of cambodia it can't get any worse than in thailand .. at least here in cambo the visa rules are clear and simple and we're welcomed with open arms.

when the Burmese will finally wake up they'll eat Thailand alive in any field, tourism, economy, culture, the thais will beg them for mercy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic