US Genetically Modified* Soyabean Feed Proposed for Cambodian Fishfarms

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

US Genetically Modified* Soyabean Feed Proposed for Cambodian Fishfarms

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:22 pm

ASA’s WISHH to launch aqua feed program in Cambodia
October 3, 2018
ST. LOUIS, Mo. – The American Soybean Association’s (ASA) WISHH Program is building on its successful track record in aquaculture development by launching the Commercialization of Aquaculture for Sustainable Trade (CAST) – Cambodia. CAST will connect trade and development by accelerating production of high-demand fish species for the Cambodian market and developing a lasting aquaculture industry that recognizes the value of soy protein in feed.

“CAST is an exciting affirmation of WISHH’s ability to connect trade and development,” said WISHH Chairman Daryl Cates, an Illinois soybean grower. “WISHH is a trailblazer for trade through CAST, which will improve agricultural productivity and expand trade of agricultural products through commercial aquaculture sector growth in Cambodia.”

The Southeast Asian country’s GDP has increased by more than 7 percent per year since 2011, growing the demand for animal and aquaculture-sourced protein. CAST’s anticipated local economic impact exceeds $300 million over the life of the project, and, Cambodia’s aquaculture industry demand for soybean protein is projected to reach 100,000 metric tons per year by 2030.

North Dakota soybean grower Matt Gast also serves on the WISHH Committee and joined WISHH staff in a variety of meetings in the region. “Aquaculture is really taking off in Cambodia, and soy protein demand will grow with it,” Gast said. “An importer of U.S. beans is building a brand new fish feed plant in Phnom Penh!” As a trailblazer for trade, WISHH grows markets for U.S. soy farmers, and at the same time, improves lives and economic opportunities in developing countries.
https://www.farmforum.net/farm_forum/as ... 5eb7f.html
*By 2012, 88 percent of corn (maize) and 94 percent of soy grown in the United States were genetically modified, according to the US Department of Agriculture.
Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2013-06-gmo-corn- ... e.html#jCp
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: US Genetically Modified* Soyabean Feed Proposed for Cambodian Fishfarms

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:50 pm

Genetically Modified Soya Good for Cambodia ?
What Genetically Modified Soybeans Could Mean to Cambodia.
Conference Paper · November 2013 

Conference: Conference: International Annual Meeting American Society of Agronomy/ Crop Science Society of America/ Soil Science Society of America 2013
Christina Joy Dittmer
I am an agriculturalist. Up front, that is my bias. However, when I say that I am an agriculturalist, many people are led to believe something different than that means. I am a person that believes that agriculture is essential to the modern lifestyle that Americans are lucky enough to have, and I believe that other countries should not be denied these basic privileges when there are solutions to be had.
Cambodia, being a developing country, has much to gain from working with biotechnology such as genetically modified soybeans. However, this is no small task, and first requires extensive education, outreach programs, and testing checkpoints to ensure quality and safety of the crop produced.
Text paper: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... o_Cambodia [accessed Oct 05 2018].
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic