Who Is Currently Overstaying Their Cambodian Visa?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Who Is Currently Overstaying Their Cambodian Visa?

Post by Soi Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote: The only way one could get out of it would be to sneak halfway out at a land crossing... somehow getting into a line for (example) thai immigration without actually stopping off at cambodian immigration.
From my experience, Thai immigration won't stamp you in without seeing your new exit stamp from Cambodian immigration.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Soi Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote: The only way one could get out of it would be to sneak halfway out at a land crossing... somehow getting into a line for (example) thai immigration without actually stopping off at cambodian immigration.
From my experience, Thai immigration won't stamp you in without seeing your new exit stamp from Cambodian immigration.
I'm sure there's a right amount of wheel grease to overcome that which is less than the cost of paying immigration here.
clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

OrangeDragon wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:
I'm sure there's a right amount of wheel grease to overcome that which is less than the cost of paying immigration here.

you do talk such nonsense, before i said that i thought it might be possible to say to the guy on guesthouse reception that you didnt have a passport, and would be willing to pay a few more dollars for a room, "oh no thats impossible they'd be shut down!"

and then you say that its easy to pay off Thai immigration officials on the border. which is more likely?
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

A guy maybe getting slapped on the wrist by his boss in the unlikely chance he's caught vs a guy losing a business he sank his savings into with a pretty high chance of getting caught.
clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

you're assuming its the business owner sitting on the reception desk - usually its an employee.

every customs officer has their own stamp, with their own ID number on it. Anything dodgy can be traced right back to them, and these guys have a career, promotions, pensions to look forward to - they are professionals
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Who is overstaying again? anyone?
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

I have never overstayed any visa. I make it a priority over everything else to meet my immigration deadlines with enough time to spare, just in case something goes wrong en route to the border.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

OrangeDragon wrote: I'm sure there's a right amount of wheel grease to overcome that which is less than the cost of paying immigration here.
That's a bet I will not be willing to take.

Anyway I doubt that in a country where a sizable portion of the Cambodian population do not have a legal existence (no ID card, no paper) going after barang who overstay their visa is such an urgent mater.
Just one thing that I do not understand given the easiness to get a visa here (me pay one time a year, me do not have to even go the immigration or have a job) how can you overstay ?
I mean you are so low on cash that you cannot pays or just forgetful by nature ?
clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

the few people I know that were overstaying, generally its drugs and booze. Lost their job, lack of money to pay the visa, its people who are living on the edge financially and mentally. if you've no money for a flight home and cant hold down a job, plus the general lack of enforcement by immigration - they don't make that much effort to catch overstayer at the moment -, it happens
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

I know an american guy who overstayed a month( he claimed) and then went to the ministry and tried to bargain, saying he was going to work to get the funds to pay it off, they then asked to see his WP, I didnt see him again, probably still sitting in jail awaiting deportation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic