Fixed term deposit question....

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Fixed term deposit question....

Post by wolfcreek »

My wife is considering putting some cash into fixed term deposits. Is there any way to find out who owns the various banks and/or institutions offering these accounts?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Fixed term deposit question....

Post by fax »

You can search the Ministry of Commerce business registration website but you may need to create an account (free).

Anyway, what are you planning to do when you find out who they are? They are bigger fish than you!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

ABA is 90% owned by a Canadian bank and 10% russian financier https://www.ababank.com/about-aba/about-us/
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

wolfcreek wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:33 am My wife is considering putting some cash into fixed term deposits. Is there any way to find out who owns the various banks and/or institutions offering these accounts?
If for instance ABA collapses the National Bank of Canadia (major shareholder) is just a shareholder meaning you can go not knock on their door to get your deposited money back because you have a you have a claim on ABA, not on them.

So I think who's the owner doesn't really matter, the banks' policies and management do.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The MDIs offer the best rates on 1 year USD fixes (7 to 8%). Since they are less involved in the frothy real estate lending market, have a wide spread of assets and a low rate of NPLs, I would suggest they are also the least risky. Most of them now have backers from overseas.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic