DIY soundproofing

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: DIY soundproofing

Post by walkjivefly »

So you want to build a sound-proof fuck-dungeon? All of a sudden you sound like a dangerous nutter.

Airgaps are clearly not much good for sound insulation. How do you think the noise you want to escape (or hide from others) propagates in the first place? You need mass, and vibration resistant mountings for any kind of box in a box solution.

I've been quite impressed by how well a cheap pair of noise-cancelling headphones work at drowning out the local numpties with their karaoke, weddings and funerals. They're not perfect and it's annoying having to wear them at times when I'd rather not be listening to anything.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

How is open windows helping the guy with his noise sensitive autistic traits? Last I checked sound travels well through open space but maybe they’ve changed that since I went to school.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

hey fermi just wants to bend the laws of physics a bit to accommodate his cheap flat. pray to God that neighbors stfu is i think most effective course. curtains won't do shit.
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

walkjivefly wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:18 pm So you want to build a sound-proof fuck-dungeon? All of a sudden you sound like a dangerous nutter.
lol, well, so long as I can't hear you calling me that from the next room we're fine.
walkjivefly wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:18 pm Airgaps are clearly not much good for sound insulation. How do you think the noise you want to escape (or hide from others) propagates in the first place? You need mass, and vibration resistant mountings for any kind of box in a box solution.
It's better than if the two surfaces were joined together. A vibration-resistant mounting is an improvement over a simple stud, but you do realize that where there isn't mounting there is air; your approach suffers all of the same flaws as mine plus introduces a new one.

I'll be off to checkout whatever building supplies stores PP offers next week maybe. Will update everybody then (and yes, I'll fess up if my solution ends up being a pair of noise-cancelling headphones).
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Best insulation is rockwool. Very cheap in Cambodia. What sort of nutter would build a room within a room? Sound is like water, it will get through any gap.
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

willyhilly wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:42 pm What sort of nutter would build a room within a room?
https://www.google.com/search?q=room-within-a-room

About 1,190,000,000 results.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

oopsfermi wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:13 pm
I'll be off to checkout whatever building supplies stores PP offers next week maybe.
Good luck!
oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

walkjivefly wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:53 pm
oopsfermi wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:13 pm
I'll be off to checkout whatever building supplies stores PP offers next week maybe.
Good luck!
It's not all that bleak. There's even one with an online presence: http://www.vtjcambodia.com/en/products/ ... f1b2a045d2

The Gyproc Habito looks particularly interesting. Yeah, it's going to be expensive, but if you value the ability to think for prolonged periods of time without interruption, seems no less wise an investment than any of the other stuff I buy to help me do work.
Khmerican
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmerican »

oopsfermi wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:13 pm I'll be off to checkout whatever building supplies stores PP offers next week maybe. Will update everybody then (and yes, I'll fess up if my solution ends up being a pair of noise-cancelling headphones).
Don't bother, I can give you next week's update today:

Hey, everything's closed...what's going on???
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic