PassApp scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: PassApp scam

Post by Anchor Moy »

Its not the same in Shv which is still very much a small town compared to PP. You get a tuktuk, you tell them the destination and how much you want to pay, you agree (or disagree, and find someone else), then you tell them where to go. Right, left, straight ahead. Etc.
Usually in PP, I'm with Khmer friends who know where to go and how much to pay. But I'm asking about apps, because things are changing. I'm interested and intrigued by the app stuff, why not, but we usually just get a tuktuk driver off the street or a guy I know to drive us when in PP.

Old fashioned I guess. But thanks all for your info. Keep it coming. :rave:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

lostjeremy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:14 pm Use Grab instead. They always have coupon codes that make it much cheaper also.
Passapp drivers use to make me crazy with their inability to follow a blue line on a map and the occasional scams. Never had these issues with grab. Not sure if they have better software or they train their dtivers better but ill never use passapo again. Plus i can use grab in Thailand too to keep racking up the reward points.

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk
Grab is throwing in so many promotions, to me it just seems they're aiming for a monopoly in Cambodia, and guess what will happen then?

I've never come across one promotion in Thailand that's he same value as here. In Thailand they're king and expensive, and they aim for the same here.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:50 pm
lostjeremy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:14 pm Use Grab instead. They always have coupon codes that make it much cheaper also.
Passapp drivers use to make me crazy with their inability to follow a blue line on a map and the occasional scams. Never had these issues with grab. Not sure if they have better software or they train their dtivers better but ill never use passapo again. Plus i can use grab in Thailand too to keep racking up the reward points.

Grab is throwing in so many promotions, to me it just seems they're aiming for a monopoly in Cambodia, and guess what will happen then?

I've never come across one promotion in Thailand that's he same value as here. In Thailand they're king and expensive, and they aim for the same here.
Grab is also fixed fare. So it doesn’t matter if the bloke gets lost or takes a strange route, will still be the price quoted at the start of the trip.

I have never had any trouble with either grab or itsumo. Pass app has been an issue one or two times, normally solv d b saying no and waiting for the phone to show the price. Also been asked to cancel the trip and pay the guy the quoted price, that’s fine with me as it doesn’t cost me any more
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:10 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:08 pm Sorry, I'm a bit behind on Passapp and Grab because I don't spend much time in PP, but please explain why these apps are better than person to person tuktuk negociations.
We haggle, then we agree on a fair price, and everyone is good - most of the time. LOL. Seems to me that the apps are supposed to take away the stress of negociating the fare, but is that the case ?
Predetermined price mate. Around half of what experienced expats can haggle, usually.

Yes, most of the time there's no problem - which makes the odd problem stand out more.

Edit: we still use 2 or 3 traditional guys often, usually to go where we're going, and then PassApp home if we're unsure how long we'll be out.
The other benefit is that with 70% of PassApp drivers, you don't have to speak a single word. They pull up to where the app says you are, they follow the app directions to the destination, you get out and pay them.

The other 30% of PassApp drivers will stop about 200meters from where you are waiting for them and then call you and ask "where are you?" and/or when you get into the PassApp they will ask "Where you go" and then expect you to direct them all the way there.

Thanks for this tip StroppyChops. It doesn't surprise me they would try the screenshot scam, I do watch them anyway swipe to complete the trip and watch the price come up immediately on the screen next, so I don't think it would work on me but I appreciate the heads up.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:49 pm Thanks for this tip StroppyChops. It doesn't surprise me they would try the screenshot scam, I do watch them anyway swipe to complete the trip and watch the price come up immediately on the screen next, so I don't think it would work on me but I appreciate the heads up.
I'm confident they'd be watching you to determine whether to chance it or not, and a late-night drop-off would normally indicate alcohol involved, so why not?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

PPMan wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:11 pm The other day I ordered a Grab. I saw the guy coming down my street and then drove right past me. As he drove by he clicked that he picked me up and kept going. I called him. He answered and hung up. Second call no answer, but meter keeps running like he picked me up.

I looked for a way to cancel mid-ride but you can’t. After about 10 minutes I get a message I was “dropped off” and my credit card charged.

I rated the driver 1 star and noted he never showed. Within 5 minutes I had an email from grab asking me to explain the 1 star rating. Within 1 hour of me explaining the money was credited back to my card. Pretty impressive!
I had a similar issue recently. I caught a Grab from BKK1 to the post office, then booked another one, but tbh the Grab app isn't very good and seemed to fail to remember i was now at the PO, so without realising it I had booked the pickup at BKK1 again. There is no 'cancel' button in the Grab app (PassApp has one) either. So the driver "arrives" and I told him to cancel several times, but because I was using a promo code, he started the journey, drove around a corner, and ended the journey, pocketing my credit.

I gave him a 1 star review, and got a phone call from Grab a couple of hours later and they sent me a $1 credit code lol. I was very impressed.

Like someone has said, it's obvious Grab is trying to crush the competition with all the promos. In Sept I was using WETFREE to get the second trip each day free.

Even though PassApp is metered not fixed fare like Grab, I do actually prefer them.

Oh, and one of the reasons drivers don't always follow the GPS is because it almost always directs them to drive down Norodom where tuk tuks aren't allowed to go.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:20 am Oh, and one of the reasons drivers don't always follow the GPS is because it almost always directs them to drive down Norodom where tuk tuks aren't allowed to go.
Which is most certainly the "I'm going to take you the longest way possible while ignoring your increasing frustration" scam when you want to go from Boeung Tompun to Toul Tom Poung. :D
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:20 am
PPMan wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:11 pm The other day I ordered a Grab. I saw the guy coming down my street and then drove right past me. As he drove by he clicked that he picked me up and kept going. I called him. He answered and hung up. Second call no answer, but meter keeps running like he picked me up.

I looked for a way to cancel mid-ride but you can’t. After about 10 minutes I get a message I was “dropped off” and my credit card charged.

I rated the driver 1 star and noted he never showed. Within 5 minutes I had an email from grab asking me to explain the 1 star rating. Within 1 hour of me explaining the money was credited back to my card. Pretty impressive!
<cut>
There is no 'cancel' button in the Grab app (PassApp has one) either. So the driver "arrives" and I told him to cancel several times, but because I was using a promo code, he started the journey, drove around a corner, and ended the journey, pocketing my credit.

<cut>
There is a 'cancel button' in the Grab app. I used it this morning, you just didn't find it. Calling the driver and asking him to cancel isn't fair. Grab will charge him for any cancellation (3000r if I remember well), but they won't if a customer cancels. So next time this happens don't rely on the driver to cancel your trip. If you make the booking and you cancel it there are no charges for the driver.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

cautious colin wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:56 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:50 pm

Grab is also fixed fare. So it doesn’t matter if the bloke gets lost or takes a strange route, will still be the price quoted at the start of the trip.

I have never had any trouble with either grab or itsumo. Pass app has been an issue one or two times, normally solv d b saying no and waiting for the phone to show the price. Also been asked to cancel the trip and pay the guy the quoted price, that’s fine with me as it doesn’t cost me any more
You must be either totally ignorant, a first time user or extremely drunk if you are scammed.

The fee is shown before the booking in the app.
The fee is showed on the drivers' phone at the destination.
The fee is showed on your phone at the the destination.
The fee is in the confirmation e-mail after the ride.

If you miss all those, you can indeed be scammed.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Which is most certainly the "I'm going to take you the longest way possible while ignoring your increasing frustration" scam when you want to go from Boeung Tompun to Toul Tom Poung. :D
I think you should consider the possibility that when tuk tuk drivers go the wrong way it's not because they are trying to scam you, it's because they are fucking stupid.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic