PassApp scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: PassApp scam

Post by General Mackevili »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:14 pm i guess look at the time on the the drivers' screen and see if it's correct
Ideally, you shouldn't have to even look at the driver's screen. You should have the app on your phone tell you the price, but as stated, it sometimes takes a full minute or so for your phone to update.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Have you reported him to the PassApp company?

I use passapp regularly and only have price problems when hailing from the curb, as opposed to calling one on the app.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:48 pm Have you reported him to the PassApp company?

I use passapp regularly and only have price problems when hailing from the curb, as opposed to calling one on the app.
Yeah, I think Mrs S was onto it earlier. The time we had a spat with a PassApp driver in front of your place was the "oh, problem with my app - you pay $10" scam. Should have reported that guy, didn't. Paid him to go away, he was very happy.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

StroppyChops wrote:
lostjeremy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:14 pm Use Grab instead. They always have coupon codes that make it much cheaper also.
Passapp drivers use to make me crazy with their inability to follow a blue line on a map and the occasional scams. Never had these issues with grab. Not sure if they have better software or they train their dtivers better but ill never use passapo again. Plus i can use grab in Thailand too to keep racking up the reward points.
Yeah, we just might do that, as we're also having increasing difficulties with the PassApp app actually connecting in our area (BT).
That’s not going to fix your scamming problem - although it is quite a clever one. I reckon about 75% of drivers are using both PassApp and Grab.
Saying that, I almost exclusively use Grab. They invariably have discount codes and I have it linked to my bank card so never have to actually pay the driver.
I just check my account every week and reconcile it against journeys made.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

khmerhamster wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:55 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
lostjeremy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:14 pm Use Grab instead. They always have coupon codes that make it much cheaper also.
Passapp drivers use to make me crazy with their inability to follow a blue line on a map and the occasional scams. Never had these issues with grab. Not sure if they have better software or they train their dtivers better but ill never use passapo again. Plus i can use grab in Thailand too to keep racking up the reward points.
Yeah, we just might do that, as we're also having increasing difficulties with the PassApp app actually connecting in our area (BT).
That’s not going to fix your scamming problem - although it is quite a clever one. I reckon about 75% of drivers are using both PassApp and Grab.
Saying that, I almost exclusively use Grab. They invariably have discount codes and I have it linked to my bank card so never have to actually pay the driver.
Genuine question - can you go back to Grab for recompense if there's a discrepancy?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I reckon PassApp and similar should introduce a rule that if the app fails, the fare is free. That would clean up a lot of problems.

I'm also aware of drivers that accept jobs and then pass them off to their non-PassApp mates, while they're waiting for better jobs to come along.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:21 pm
Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:14 pm i guess look at the time on the the drivers' screen and see if it's correct
Great suggestion, didn't think of that - but he knew when I looked back at his screen that he'd screwed himself and started getting nervous. Apparently I look a little scary, especially at night.
I look scary all the time

But that's just because I'm ugly as sin, good rape repellent
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

StroppyChops wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:55 pm
StroppyChops wrote:
Genuine question - can you go back to Grab for recompense if there's a discrepancy?
Yes. I got pissed off one day when drivers accepted fares then drove several km away from me so I cancelled a job several times. If you cancel too many times within a certain time period they fine you (I hadn’t realised this). I told them the reason why I cancelled (drivers still on a PassApp fare and accepted a Grab fare). They accepted it and gave me a refund - took something like 10 days for the funds to be received but they responded quickly and accepted responsibility and agreed to process the refund.
I guess several people must have complained about this and they addressed it with drivers as I haven’t seen this behaviour recently.
PPMan
Tourist

Post by PPMan »

The other day I ordered a Grab. I saw the guy coming down my street and then drove right past me. As he drove by he clicked that he picked me up and kept going. I called him. He answered and hung up. Second call no answer, but meter keeps running like he picked me up.

I looked for a way to cancel mid-ride but you can’t. After about 10 minutes I get a message I was “dropped off” and my credit card charged.

I rated the driver 1 star and noted he never showed. Within 5 minutes I had an email from grab asking me to explain the 1 star rating. Within 1 hour of me explaining the money was credited back to my card. Pretty impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

General Mackevili wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:45 pm
Ideally, you shouldn't have to even look at the driver's screen. You should have the app on your phone tell you the price, but as stated, it sometimes takes a full minute or so for your phone to update.
Yeah it can take a wee while sometimes for the price to go through on your phone which is why i look at the driver's screen and just pay what that says usually. As i use passapp so much, i generally have a rough idea of the price already.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic