Sihanoukville Demolition and Devlopment

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Sihanoukville Demolition and Devlopment

Post by OrangeDragon »

So... it looks like cleaning the beach up is going a bit further than just busting criminals... they're widening the road from the lions all the way down to Serendipity pier.

Widening it significantly... as in... into what are currently the insides of businesses.

The red lines indicate the edge of the road:

There are obviously a lot of business owners outraged on this... though I have to wonder how much of it is a result of negligence or not knowing easement laws and building further out than you could be sure of, likely based on the assumption of "when do they ever develop their infrastructure in Cambodia". Though they could have given more/better notice (or they did, and a series of landlords kept their mouths shut about it to keep raking in rent money a little longer).

My suspicion of this, coupled with the heavy cleanup of the beach area crime, is another high end resort to be built on that beach... probably clearing out a lot of (or all of) the beach shacks/bars in the process. It really is one of the best beach locations... but currently catering to the lowest demographic of tourists. Push them all off to another beach and get the high rollers staying smack dab in the middle of town (instead of out on the fringes like Sokah is) and you'll have a lot better time milking them for their cash.

Either way, shitty time to be a business owner on that road... and quite likely a shitty time to be a beach bar owner is coming up.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Sihanoukville Demolition and Devlopment

Post by Username Taken »

Old news OD!

This started back in 2011, so they must have known it was going to come eventually.

I won't link to K440's post from then, but rather LTO's blog. http://ltocambodia.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... ening.html

:hattip:
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

hmmm...i remember writing (in another pro-SHV thread) that such land grabs should be a constant worry to anyone considering investing in a business in SHV, to which OD said, "NO, it is only illegal beach bars that get affected." :ROFL:
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

less a landgrab, more a "building your structure over an easement"....
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Nobody built intentionally "over an easement". Buildings were built with full consent of the government at the time, whom then changed the rules. That is eminent domain when done by a government for the common good of all citizens, but it is blatant land stealing when done for the good of a select, well connected few.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

A lot of the current building were built AFTER they'd been warned about the planned development (a plan which has been on the books since like 2006). PEople built anyway... in the typical "i'll do it as long as i can" method.

I had actually asked about easement laws to one of the guys discussing it on fb and got filled in... from the sound of it, it would definitely have been a known easement if anyone did due diligence before building.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Such a classic. In kompong Speu I have witnessed houses being demolished 3 or 4 times over the years for an ever expanding highway.
Concerning Serendipidy this is a stupid idea anyway. It will mainly bring faster traffic in an area where most tourists like to walk.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:Such a classic. In kompong Speu I have witnessed houses being demolished 3 or 4 times over the years for an ever expanding highway.
Concerning Serendipidy this is a stupid idea anyway. It will mainly bring faster traffic in an area where most tourists like to walk.
++++ and finishes quickly in a dead end. Now they should do this all the way to PP.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

The road to PP has been being expanded steadily. Last time I drove it there were 2 lanes each way for about 50% of it, and construction being done on the rest.

If I were to guess, I'd estimate a full 4 lane highway by the end of 2014.

(though they really need to go through where the markets are on the way and start fining people setting up their stalls on the traffic lanes. or just approve driving over them.)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

if they carry out this demolition some witefokes are going to go plumb loco and probably fight.

as in physical altercation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic