River banks and islands eroding

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

River banks and islands eroding

Post by explorer »

Anyone who travels along the river or on islands in the rivers, will notice erosion in some places. The leading end of islands and the outside of bends in the river tend to erode.

In some places you may see parts of the road have fallen in the river. So that part of the road has had to be relocated.

One island loses maybe 2 meters from the leading end each year. A track along that edge has had to be relocated in some places. One house which is only a few meters from the water now sits vacant. The family still owns it, and has fruit trees growing there, but in a few years it may be gone.

In another place I watched a house be relocated. It was a wooden house. They put boards under the posts, and rolled it on pipes. They used big jacks. I asked them why. They said the river bank is eroding, and that land will soon be gone. A little further along, the track fell into the river. They knocked down fences and relocated it through peoples properties.

Spare a thought for the neighbors who could not afford to move. They will be forced to do something sometime soon. The land will be gone, they can not sell it.

Anyone thinking about buying land on an island, or along the river, observe the erosion patterns before purchasing.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: River banks and islands eroding

Post by frank lee bent »

where?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Yes. Fluvial geomorphology is real!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Keep on dredging that river bed sand.
It it illegal but it still done all over the place, that causes the riverbanks to erode quickly as they are essentially falling into the river.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Jack.R. wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:12 pm Keep on dredging that river bed sand.
It it illegal but it still done all over the place, that causes the riverbanks to erode quickly as they are essentially falling into the river.
Damn fine point Jack. This especially evident in the current flooded area just over the Mekong bridge in Kampong Cham. They keep on digging sand from the river bed even during the flood. The trucks that carry the wet sand are highly overweight and in turn tear up the main highway.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Can't find one similar for the Mekong, but here's the meander of the Padma River in Bangladesh from January 2, 1988 to January 20, 2018

(might load slowly)

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/image ... -the-padma
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

When the water level was high, heavy vehicles were banned from road along the river in Kampong Cham City to minimize the likelihood of damage. The water level has dropped and this ban has been lifted.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

explorer wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:31 am When the water level was high, heavy vehicles were banned from road along the river in Kampong Cham City to minimize the likelihood of damage. The water level has dropped and this ban has been lifted.
I was referring to the Tbong Kmum side where sand was indeed carted up to the national highway.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Jack.R. wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:12 pm Keep on dredging that river bed sand.

Not only do they rape their own country...presumably they don't even pay tax on the real income...tax that could benefit their own countrymen.

"The controversy concerns UN data showing $752 million in imports of sand from Cambodia to Singapore since 2007, despite the Kingdom only reporting about $5 million in exports to the small island nation. Singapore’s Trade Ministry statistics closely mirror the UN’s data."

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/dredging-answers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic