Crowd watched him lie screaming until he died

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Crowd watched him lie screaming until he died

Post by explorer »

There was an accident recently which I was told about.

I did not see the accident. I know if you ask 10 witnesses, you will get 10 versions of the event. But from what I was told, this is what I think happened.

A boy (year 11 student) was riding along a dirt road in town on his motorbike. A truck came the other way. He swerved to miss the truck, fell of the motorbike and injured his leg. A crown of Cambodians rushed to have a look. He lay screaming until he died. He was dead before medical assistance arrived.

I asked, did the truck hit him? No.

Was he going fast? No.

Did he have head injuries? No

Did he have abdominal injuries? No

The only injuries were to his leg.

This does not make sense.

After asking more questions, it seems his leg injury resulted in severe bleeding, and he died from excessive blood loss.

Cambodians dont know, if they wrapped something around his leg they could have minimized the bleeding and kept him alive until medical assistance arrived. So they all just stood there watching him.

Anyone giving assistance is also concerned about getting sued.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Crowd watched him lie screaming until he died

Post by fax »

The last person to touch a body on the street is responsible for the death. That doesn’t help.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Maybe it was the trees . Those bloody trees can steal all the oxygen and people die.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

explorer wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:09 am This does not make sense.
Probably bled out from a hip injury.

Mrs Stroppy has learned that when I say "look left" or "look right" it's a really good idea to do so. Our first experience of this was a young woman who'd been shoved into a concrete barrier on the 271 fllyover, and clearly had spinal injuries. Her friends obviously had some medical training though, as they had sat her up and were shaking her back to consciousness. No Tiger Balm in play at that point, which would have helped.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

StroppyChops wrote:

Mrs Stroppy has learned that when I say "look left" or "look right" it's a really good idea to do so. Our first experience of this was a young woman who'd been shoved into a concrete barrier on the 271 fllyover, and clearly had spinal injuries. Her friends obviously had some medical training though, as they had sat her up and were shaking her back to consciousness. No Tiger Balm in play at that point, which would have helped.
That. I think you're better off if nobody here touches you anyways after an accident. At least if a crowd gathers, you're less likely to be hit again a few minutes later.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 pm
StroppyChops wrote:

That. I think you're better off if nobody here touches you anyways after an accident. At least if a crowd gathers, you're less likely to be hit again a few minutes later.
yeah its like when people drown instead of trying CPR or whatever they just hold you upside down and give you a shake
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Serious question.
How many of you know what to do in a bad road accident scene in Cambodia ?
No judgement. I'm asking myself the same thing.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I came across a foreigner hurt in and accident with many people just looking on. I was able to stop the bleeding and arrange for him to get medical help. I felt it was my responsibility.
When I see a local hurt and everyone standing around with cameras recording I move on. I was caught with a bill for tuk tuk and hos[ital before.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Arget wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:46 am I came across a foreigner hurt in and accident with many people just looking on. I was able to stop the bleeding and arrange for him to get medical help. I felt it was my responsibility.
When I see a local hurt and everyone standing around with cameras recording I move on. I was caught with a bill for tuk tuk and hospital before.
In what situations do those on this forum think it is a good idea to get involved, and in what situations do you think it is a good idea to not get involved?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:18 am Serious question.
How many of you know what to do in a bad road accident scene in Cambodia ?
No judgement. I'm asking myself the same thing.
Well, me, but I taught myself years ago to not just jump in and start saving, but to include myself and my family's future in the triage assessment - am I going to get stung for money if this goes badly, or even if I save a life but the patient is permanently injured? As much as it went against my every instinct in our early days here, I move along most times. I have a small circle of Khmer friends who know to contact me if they have an emergency at home, but I'm also confident they wouldn't then try to extort money from me after receiving help.

I would give enough first-aid at an MVA (as an example) to preserve life, but then disappear into the woodwork, somehow eluding the hundreds of Facebook Live videos being taken of the hairy barang interfering in local business.

The other issue is that I'm used to having a fully equipped ambulance with stretchers, neck and body braces, MAST suits, oxygen, and medications on hand. They're no substitute for a freshly opened bottle of Tiger Balm, I know, but there are real limits to what you can actually achieve in the field here.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic