$100 to go to another high school

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: $100 to go to another high school

Post by taabarang »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:16 am
Felgerkarb wrote:When we moved our niece from Kg. Thom to PP I think the fee was $60 bucks. That was three years ago.
I had $50 in my head but couldn’t remember for sure. This was about 3 years ago too.
We were transferring from PP to province.
Quite possibly our fee included the ‘NGO tax’
The $100 is believable to me, especially if they know that there is a foreigner involved. But I’m sure it is negotiable.
%100 is the official fee if:

1) you're willing to accept it and have someone else, usually the principal of the school the child is transferring from do it and
2) you don't know who to deal with and
3)you don't speak Khmer, I.e educated Khmer.

Being a foreigner works to your advantage if #3 is in place. I rehearsed all possible scenarios with my wife before presenting myself to the appropriate authority.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:16 am
Felgerkarb wrote:When we moved our niece from Kg. Thom to PP I think the fee was $60 bucks. That was three years ago.
I had $50 in my head but couldn’t remember for sure. This was about 3 years ago too.
We were transferring from PP to province.
Quite possibly our fee included the ‘NGO tax’
The $100 is believable to me, especially if they know that there is a foreigner involved. But I’m sure it is negotiable.
Ya, I should have stated I stayed out of the entire affair, as a barang in the mix would have undoubtedly cost us more...
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There is no foreigner involved.

It is not the same for everyone moving schools. For someone moving to a school nearby there is no charge. In certain situations there is a smaller charge. This is moving to another province.

It is a case of, they know she needs the paperwork, so they can charge what they like.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic