Draught Beer in Cambodia

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Draught Beer in Cambodia

Post by Barang chgout »

armchairlawyer wrote:
hanno wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:59 pm I am pretty sure I would not blacklist a place over 50 Cents.....
So, I did some calculations. If I drink 30 beers per week on average, I will spend $2,340 per year in the $1.50 bars, $3,120 in the $2 bars, and $4,680 in the $3 bars.
You forgot the barfines.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

armchairlawyer wrote:
hanno wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:59 pm I am pretty sure I would not blacklist a place over 50 Cents.....
So, I did some calculations. If I drink 30 beers per week on average, I will spend $2,340 per year in the $1.50 bars, $3,120 in the $2 bars, and $4,680 in the $3 bars.
Don’t forget the cost of kidney dialysis three times a week in 10 years time.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang chgout wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:53 pm
armchairlawyer wrote:
You forgot the barfines.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:11 pm
Actually I often drink more than one!

50 cents is a 33% mark-up over the place that charges $1.50.

As Arget rightly says, all these bars offer a similar product so why spend money in one that charges 33% more?
Oddly, the bars that offer a noticeably better product, eg better furniture, toilets, are rarely the ones that charge higher prices. Think of jah stueu's bars on 130 or Larry's - they all charge $1.50.
yeah and tbh it might only be 50c more for a draft, but the the Drafts is only where it starts, move on to Cider, Spirits, Shots and Lady Drinks and the mark ups get worse,
i might have a few drafts at the start of the night but im more of a Cider and Vodka drinker, and like to binge and bar hop, but if i get to a bar thats selling Bruntys for $2.50-$3/Spirits for $3.50 i can sit in there and easily have 5-10 bottles and maybe a couple of vodkas and shots, but if they charging $4-4.50, ill have one, maybe 2 then be itching to move onto somewhere else cuz it all adds up and what starts as 50c more for a beer could mean my tab being $10-20 more expensive in as quickly as an hour
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I hardly ever drink draught, except for the odd tower or jug with a group. I like drinking beer with ice so cans or bottles are better, and the quality is more consistent. Living in London in the 90s put me off draught a lot, they used to recycle slops and try and sell you all sorts of dross.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:13 am I hardly ever drink draught, except for the odd tower or jug with a group. I like drinking beer with ice so cans or bottles are better, and the quality is more consistent.
yeah same,
also i prefer drinking Cambodia, so if they dont have Cambodia on tap id rather fork out an extra 25c and get a Can/Bottle of Cambodia over a draft of Anchor/Angkor, Anchor is shit and Angkor hangovers are rotten
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

when I first came to cambodia i got bad hangovers from the draft so i stuck to the vodka. the last week i started having one glass of draft beer with my evening meal, stupidly thinking it could do no harm. unable to sleep, weird dreams, diarrhea all next day, sore joints and basically unable to do anything due to no energy. the stuff is poisonous. dont know whats in it but pretty sure it would be illegal in western countries
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:03 pm when I first came to cambodia i got bad hangovers from the draft so i stuck to the vodka. the last week i started having one glass of draft beer with my evening meal, stupidly thinking it could do no harm. unable to sleep, weird dreams, diarrhea all next day, sore joints and basically unable to do anything due to no energy. the stuff is poisonous. dont know whats in it but pretty sure it would be illegal in western countries

What other reasons do you need to give up drinking ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:18 pm I have been told the alcohol strength is 3% compared to the 5% of cans and bottles.
I don't trust the draft
ice waters down the 5% beers a little
are there any weaker beers bottled or canned?

monstra mihi bona!
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

^^ Yeah "Klang smooth"- 4 %, and pleasant enough in my opinion, and the "Anchor lemon" which is 2% and nice, though you might say it's more lemon than beer- but nice and thirst quenching and not sickly sweet, and with ice i guess more like 1.5%.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic