Best off road bicycle

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Best off road bicycle

Post by taabarang »

explorer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:22 am Anyone wanting to buy a good off road bicycle, I suggest you consider a fat bike.

These have 4 inch, or 100 mm tires.

These are better than other bicycles when it comes to sand and mud which you may often come across in Cambodia.

On the road they are equal to the best mountain bikes.

They have a good range of gears for high and low speeds.

They have good disk brakes.

They have a strong aluminum frame.

The tires give a little extra height, which also makes them good for taller people.

The tires spread out the weight which makes them better for heavier people or heavier loads.

The tires absorb small bumps, giving a slightly smoother ride. Not the big bumps.

I have met people who have brought in bicycles from Europe and Australia. These fat bikes are less expensive. But more expensive than second hand ladies bikes.

These are for sale in Phnom Penh at Scott bicycles, number 124, 126 on Street 182. Not far from Orussey Market. There are two shops together owned by the same people.

They are also for sale in Sihanoukville on the road to psaa ler (the market) not far from the large supermarket, Sumedera. The second bicycle shop from the supermarket. They did not display the bicycles out the front. You will see the name X-treme at the front.

They also sell them in Koh Kong. I don't know where.

If you do need spares or repairs, you may need to go to Scott in PP.

I do not have any connection with this business. I have just found these bicycles far breretter for off road use.

I think these bicycles will become very popular in years to come.
Explorer, what is the asking price of your recommended ride?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

taabarang wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:30 am Explorer, what is the asking price of your recommended ride?
You should be able to get it for less than US$400.

You may get the best price in Sihanoukville. They sell mainly to Cambodians, and put on less profit. I have not been there for over a year, I cant be sure the shop is still there. They did not display one out the front, so most people do not know they sell them. People on the island used to buy them. They used to hire them for $10 per day. People used to ride them in the salt water, so they were not well looked after. I don't know what has happened since the Chinese have taken over.

If you are in PP go to Scott. Try the other shops if you want.

How are your negotiating skills?
Last edited by explorer on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

beaker wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:20 amI even have put my much loved NSS250A Forza for sale that I have rebuilt the engine on and replaced with new carb and all electronics because I was going to keep it till I die.
Pics? Price?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"How are your negotiating skills?"

Well in large part it depends on the product and my knowledge of it but after almost 20 years in country plus good spoken Khmer I can fake it pretty well if needs be.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

explorer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:25 am Where is this for sale, what sort of price, what distance can it travel, what specs?
It's from china
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 5bc3etyutv
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

that genius wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 am
beaker wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:20 amI even have put my much loved NSS250A Forza for sale that I have rebuilt the engine on and replaced with new carb and all electronics because I was going to keep it till I die.
Pics? Price?
The ad is on facebook here --> Motorbike Forum Cambodia and Things for sale & wanted in Phnom Penh
Look for 2006 Forza NSS250A
Sorry copying the links just don't seem to work
There are some pictures there I'm going to take some more pics today and the price is $2000. It's the PCX's big brother but looks the same except its about a foot longer, wider, but with a lower seat is a lower and much more comfortable and twice the power. It was sold as Reflex NSS250A in the US and as the Jazz NSS250A in Europe

For Sale or Trade 2006 Honda Forza NSS250A (sold as Reflex in the U.S. market)
The Forza offered a respectable top speed of 75-80mph, which was quite fast for a 250cc scooter and made the Forza well suited for even highway travel. Unlike bigger maxi scooters, the Forza retains most of the excellent fuel consumption you find in small to mid sized scooters, so you’ll typically achieve around 65mpg in mixed driving.

The Forza motor is a nice reliable liquid cooled design. It’s not a technological leader (ie. no fuel injection or 4-valves) but it’s a rugged engine that is low stressed for a long engine life. The power output (19hp) is much lower than a 250cc dirt bike, but it’s also going to last much longer because of this.

Engine: MF04E 249cc, 2-valve, 4-stroke, SOHC, liquid cooled single. It has been rebuilt less than 1000 kms ago replaced head, cam, timing chain, coil, spark ignitor, stator (generator), rings, starter clutch, starter and valve job.

Transmission is automatic with absolutely no shifting just twist and go.

Brakes Combined (when rear brake is pressed a portion of the stopping power also goes to the front brake) Anti-lock disc brakes front and rear. Very safe

Also has Idle stop button so the bike can shut itself off at traffic lights and with twist of the throttle it automatically restarts.

I did all this work and invested over $3500 because I was planning to keep this bike but recent changes in the driver’s license laws mean that I cannot renew my license because my California license has long ago expired. So I need a smaller bike 125cc or less.

You can download the service manual in PDF form for this bike to find out about all the inner workings here -- http://49ccscoot.com/…/2001-2007_Honda_ ... lex_Servic

Price is $2000. Or trade for a 125cc honda PCX or ?
Email: [email protected] (English please).

It need to be washed lot's of dust on it in these pics

I'm going to put on some new parts that have been sitting around like a new drive belt, new air filter, new spark plug and I'll adjust the valves too. Since my drivers license has expired and I can't drive it I will take some better pics
It' a big long comfortable ride great for someone who is big tall that is the average 125cc scooter next to it in the pics for reference
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

that genius wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 am
Pics? Price?
here is some more pics
I'm more concerned with the mechanics not so concerned with looks here are more pictures the price is $2000

The engine was rebuilt about 1000km ago, new rings, new cam, new cam chain,new used head,valve job,new carb,new ignition igniter, new coil, new starter relay, new starter, new starter clutch, I also have a an extra CDI unit it's very hard to find and costs $500. to replace, also most of the electrical stuff was still good and I saved along with the carb also good, and the head assembly not so good but has some good bits and other stuff that I'm sure I'm forgetting. Like I said I was planning on keeping this until they went an changed the license renewal stuff. It runs strong and clean and I alway use the best synthetic oil

jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

beaker wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:20 am This is the bike I have been looking into because of the new hassles with not only being able to get a one or two year license , because I'm 68, and having to go through the 10 year license procedure each time at renewal time
This bike has the 48v rear hub motor and a nicely protected battery/electronic case

I even have put my much loved NSS250A Forza for sale that I have rebuilt the engine on and replaced with new carb and all electronics because I was going to keep it till I die.
explorer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:25 am Where is this for sale, what sort of price, what distance can it travel, what specs?
Here is what I ended up buying because importing a bike into Cambodia is a big hassle, it would have had to have been disassembled and put in separate boxes to pass customs as parts. Also I didn't trust AliExpress after trying to ask a few questions and not getting satisfactory answers
48v 1000w rear motor kit

This is the bike I built with it. It does 47kms/hour with only throttle no pedaling and will do well over 30 kms with its 10Ah battery before needing a charge.

jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic