Woman Thief has Head Shaved by Angry Market Sellers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Woman Thief has Head Shaved by Angry Market Sellers

Post by John Bingham »

lets.eatfood wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:46 am Torture in Cambodia was the Khmer rouge's thing back then. That era is over and honestly violence only brings more violence.
I'm always amazed how people presume that torture here was only something the Khmer Rouge did. It existed long before that and still exists.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:46 am
lets.eatfood wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:46 am Torture in Cambodia was the Khmer rouge's thing back then. That era is over and honestly violence only brings more violence.
I'm always amazed how people presume that torture here was only something the Khmer Rouge did. It existed long before that and still exists.
Enhanced Interrogation Techniques. Much more palatable.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Did this guy get the same treatment, or is it self-inflicted?

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

lets.eatfood wrote:This information doesn't tell you the full extent of what happened. I watched all 22 minutes of this. They beat her, many times, each person taking turns. Humiliated her, beat her again, threw objects at her, pinned her down and shaved her then told her to gather all her things because they dumped all her stuff on the ground from her purse. As she gathered her stuff slammed a chair into her. It was continual beating through out the full video. The girl was wrong for stealing, yes, but torturing a 14 for 22 minutes? Also phones everywhere recording and taking photos of it happening. No I don't think by any means this was fair. It was excessive punishment. Both men, and women taking turns beating, her on her knees begging for forgiveness. They shouldn't have gone that fair. Torture in Cambodia was the Khmer rouge's thing back then. That era is over and honestly violence only brings more violence.
Agreed. It wasn't like they caught her, shaved her head and then sent her on her way. It was pretty brutal.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

prahocalypse now wrote:Did this guy get the same treatment, or is it self-inflicted?

And maybe a broken arm?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

violet wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:36 am I haven't seen the videos. They don't display for me. My opinions have changed now more information is available.
Until you see the video, you cannot make a judgement. If you are that easily convinced on something without seeing the evidence you must be very easy to fool.

Were the crowd wrong? Probably. Where were the police during this 20 minutes or so? Was she a known thief? What did she steal? Lots of questions.

Violet, it took me about 10 seconds to find the video on the internet so you should look at it first before making a judgement. You will probably feel she was beaten and tortured, it's all about perspective.

For me, there was no torture, no savage beating or anything like it. There are no marks on her, no blood or torn clothes. This was more of a handbags at dawn mob rule. The 20 minutes is pretty tame and if people think this is a savage beating and torture they are living in a cotton wool world to reality. Most of the trauma for her would be the "what is going to happen to me thoughts". If she did not steal in the first place, this would not have happened.

Obviously a young crack head from a well to do family. Had the police taken her away early, she would probably have been let off. This might actual wake her up and put her straight.

One of the problems in our luvvie liberal world. Don't punish the criminal, it's not their fault, it is the fault of society. Let's reward them instead.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"One of the problems in our luvvie liberal world. Don't punish the criminal, it's not their fault, it is the fault of society. Let's reward them instead."

Wrong. I live in Cambodia and have. done so for years. Not my idea of a "luvvie liberal world" by any stretch of of a dogmatic imagination.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

taabarang wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:53 pm "One of the problems in our luvvie liberal world. Don't punish the criminal, it's not their fault, it is the fault of society. Let's reward them instead."

Wrong. I live in Cambodia and have. done so for years. Not my idea of a "luvvie liberal world" by any stretch of of a dogmatic imagination.
Read my post carefully..........luvvie liberal WORLD...Not luvvie liberal Cambodia.

The punishment that girl went through was not of a luvvie kind but tough justice.

My comments are aimed at those who would look upon criminals as innocent due to the "social deprivation" they have been through. Never a thought for the victim.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

It would be odd if people didn't think of the victim. Rather than being luvvie that would make them unfeeling. In extreme examples that can display as sociopathy, psychopathy, narcissim, etc. Just because a person doesn't join in the usual chorus ona forum expressing sadness, upset, whatever for the victim, doesn't mean it is not felt. In some cases, people feel great empathy and sadness for the things experienced.

There will be other ocassions when a poster may have trouble relating on that level for many a reason....dealing with their own personal battles in life and having to remain in control of emotions, or distanced from reality by the internet screen.

Some people speak up to highlight the perpetrator is a product of experience, which may have been equally
or more traumatic than what is experienced by the victim. Does that mean the perpetrator is worth more pity? No. We are all worthy of pity. Maybe the perpetrators were abused daily by their mother or father and to survive they have to shut down the emotions so tightly to ensure the strong emotions don't get through. Because they can't trust themselves to break the seal even just a little bit. Because if they do, they fear they may never manage to function again.

It is common in society to point fingers of blame. It achieves nothing but fighting and distancing. That is why we are constantly at war with ourselves and each other. It is far less common for a person to speak up with understanding toward those who display negative or no emotions, or inappropriate emotions in certain settings.

Edited to add [there are also people trained to control emotions and to be densensitised so they can do their work in warzones, military planning, and rescuing children from awful situations, or dealing with tortured and mutilated bodies]

If a person reminding others / presenting a perspective of the humanity in each of us is a liberal luvvie, then I'll wear the label, despite not adhering to labels. I'll draw your attention to my other highly controversial opinion...that we need a war to reset perspectives in this world. Is that a luvvy liberal view?

There are voices aplenty for the obvious victim. Why must people tick off the 'must remember to appease the haters' box before bringing balance by commenting to the complexity of what it is to be human?
Last edited by violet on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

TOG wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:09 pm
taabarang wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:53 pm "One of the problems in our luvvie liberal world. Don't punish the criminal, it's not their fault, it is the fault of society. Let's reward them instead."

Read my post carefully..........luvvie liberal WORLD...Not luvvie liberal Cambodia.

The punishment that girl went through was not of a luvvie kind but tough justice.

My comments are aimed at thoe who would look upon criminals as innocent due to the "social t of the deprivation" they have been through. Never a thought for the victim.
Well I did read it carefully and to the best of my knowledge Cambodia is part of the world. Your notion of tough justice is commonly referred to as
extrajudicial punishment which opens many doors, all of which you personally would be a fool to enter as a suspect.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic