Random questions everywhere...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Random questions everywhere...

Post by Username Taken »

I quite often get 2" - 3" centipedes crawl out of the shower drain hole on the first floor whilst showering. (Never seen them upstairs though).
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

kaya14 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:22 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:37 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:50 pm
Pests - I'll be around the central market / national monument area so... And I'm deathly scared of lizards and cockroaches :([/b]
Great! You've got an opportunity to get over that! Seriously, though, not so bad in those areas, although the tokay lizards go where they will.
The area around Independence should be OK as it's mostly large private residences. Central Market and most of the central commercial areas are probably the worst for rats and cockroaches. There are a whole lot of people and vendors around and loads of little alleyways and sewers where these things thrive. Mosquitoes are more worth worrying about as they can kill you. Luckily my place doesn't seem to have rats and a roaches might fly in once or twice a year. The odd time a Rhinoceros Beetle or Praying Mantis might fly in too, but I like them and usually just put them outside. I have plenty of those house geckos around, I like them and can't understand why anyone would want to trap them. They are completely harmless, if you tried to pick one up it would give you a nip you could hardly feel. Try and catch a Tokay though and it'll take a lump out of your hand.

OK I can't imagine a situation where I'll hold a lizard in my hand ugh. And I thought the mosquitos in PP don't carry malaria?

Lizards usually run away if you go anywhere near them. The Changeable Lizards that you see on trees are very fast but you can find their blind spot by sneaking up on them from below, I've caught loads of them but let them go soon afterwards. I had a Tokay who hung around on my gate everyday at waist/ arm level and didn't seem to care if you walked by. I tried picking it up one day and it bit my finger very hard and I had blood coming out from around my nail. None of those are dangerous though.

When I lived on the edge of a lake years ago there was a kid who was fishing and he caught a snake. He was trying to kill it so I bought it off him for a dollar and took the hook from its body. I set it up in a makeshift vivarium, but the locals told me I was crazy so I took it far away the next morning. It was a deadly Malayan Krait. A few days later a big adult one turned up in the yard so someone smashed its head in with a pole. We'd get large Burmese/ Reticulated Pythons turning up in the floods too. You can't kill these as they have the "Neak Ta" in them. The small house geckos are similarly thought to have a similar childish spirit in them. Nobody kills them, and if you are found doing so you will suffer the wrath of Khmer magic.
Last edited by John Bingham on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Random questions everywhere..

Post by taabarang »

If you've ever seen the local cattle that beef comes from you'll notice how skinny.they are. Blood that hasn't been let may be a problem but worse yet.is the chewy texture-a culinary experience resembling consumption of tennis shoes. As for the other hesitations, don't come to Cambodia if you plan on living forever.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

StroppyChops wrote:
kaya14 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:22 pm OK I can't imagine a situation where I'll hold a lizard in my hand ugh. And I thought the mosquitos in PP don't carry malaria?
At the moment they're carrying a particularly virulent strain of dengue.
You are a bit of a profit of doom, are you trying to scare the girl?

The dengue thing might be true, but in 11 years of living here I have known less than ten people contract dengue and AFAIR nobody this year. I have a pretty large circle of acquaintances in PP and rural.

So if you are careful & use a mosquito net (I don’t) and use mosquitos repellent (also I don’t) & don’t have standing water around your house then you will be at extremely low risk of contracting dengue.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

dengue is caused by DAYTIME mossies
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 am
StroppyChops wrote:
kaya14 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:22 pm OK I can't imagine a situation where I'll hold a lizard in my hand ugh. And I thought the mosquitos in PP don't carry malaria?

The dengue thing might be true, but in 11 years of living here I have known less than ten people contract dengue and AFAIR nobody this year. I have a pretty large circle of acquaintances in PP and rural.

So if you are careful & use a mosquito net (I don’t) and use mosquitos repellent (also I don’t) & don’t jushave standing water around your house then you will be at extremely low risk of contracting dengue.
Malaria is unknown around the immediate area of Kampong Cham city, but at certain times of the year Dengue is a real threat. I got it in PP once. You don't die, you just want to.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

StroppyChops wrote:

So if you are careful & use a mosquito net (I don’t) and use mosquitos repellent (also I don’t) & don’t have standing water around your house then you will be at extremely low risk of contracting dengue.
I have a smaller circle of friends and I personally know three who've had it this season. I've had it myself so you can add me to the list.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

StroppyChops wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:

I have a smaller circle of friends and I personally know three who've had it this season. I've had it myself so you can add me to the list.
The folks I have known to have had it have been absolutely wiped out for a week or more.
I have heard of people claim they have dengue and be back operational within a couple of days. I’m inclined to call that inherent laziness/unnecessary drama rather than a real illness. Some foreigners seem to like to call a full house on tropical illness bingo - makes a good story for back home.

Maybe I’m just too cynical.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

when i got it, was bed ridden for 3 days with aches in every bone, another 4-5 days of just being able to get around and eat
at least a month till back to 100%
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Maybe I’m just too cynical."

There are different strains; if you get a bad one you'll lose your cynicism.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic