Welcome to Cambodia Expats Online!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ryoon
Expatriate

Re: Welcome to Expats Cambodia!

Post by ryoon »

phuketrichard wrote: You cant be,
all u need do is sign up again using a different user name/handle and a different ip address.( using tor and http://www.hidemyass.com/)
Hidemyass is not really what I would call a secure VPN, the main reason to use a VPN is usually to avoid having you internet activity being log and save by your ISP, google and such (allowing to make a profile for advertising purpose).

Hidemyass log your activity and become infamous for giving upon request the log activity on more than six month of one of the anonymous.
Hidemyass also do not have a kill switch meaning if you are downloading and your VPN go down your real IP address is exposed.

For the same price you have equivalent service who do not log your activity and have a kill switch.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

or just route through the onion...
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Soi Dog wrote: Well, my previous screen name (not just this one) was deleted from that forum (as have 2 other screen names in the past decade) and all of my 900+ posts completely removed. I called KiR a humorless cock smoker in a PM after he told me to "stop shit-stirring". I had posted a few lame jokes about this new forum and the impending death spiral of his website and such. :whip:
Seems pretty logical, for the few post I read from him KIR seems to have an old testament mentality, associated with a strong tendency of I know better than you what is good and I can't be wrong. Which can be good in a certain set of circumstance but very bad when you start to make mistake and do not listen to criticism.

A forum as KH440 is a place for fun and seeking information for the simple user, but it is also a instrument of power (modest but existing), a source of revenues (advertising), opportunities ( as people have to pass through you ) and a way to be granted importance.

For the simple user a second forum means more choice, more fun. For the owner of the first it means less of everything cited previously with the added bonus that you are made to look like an ass. So very logically the owner mod must be a little touchy on the subject.

What was gained in Banning Soi Dog ? answer nothing as he become a regular poster here, and less than nothing again as it was clearly display the total disrespect toward his person. A message type you are either with US or against US do not work so good when you have strictly nothing to offer that can not be obtain elsewhere.
Personally no intention to post on KH440 for now (doubt that they will miss me), if only for the reason that they do not play fair.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

OrangeDragon wrote:or just route through the onion...
Unless I am mistaken there are inconvenient with this system, but not an IT guy

- My ISP provider can log my activity, and this is my main concern. I have strictly zero confidence in a Vietnamese company on those issue and what they can potentially do with the data. I would have less concern on this point in the U.S or europe but still ..
- I can not control the country I log in ( which can be a trouble as mail send from Cambodia can bounce back in some country).
- not good enough with computer to know how to use tor correctly, also no inclination to learn.

I think you would be surprise at what point my Internet activity are boring.

For what I know vpn assure a good layer of protection for electronic transaction and relative anonymity. Good enough for me.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Regarding their (and potentially our) "power":

what's amusing is they are always posting passport/drivers license etc on there... which immediately makes the posts they claim will live on in google for infamy against the person eligible for removal from the google index by google terms of use.

also, and of the events that are only based on rumor/hearsay qualify as actual libel on their part once they move from "_______ said that this person did __________ and we think they are telling the truth" to "this person did __________". it's no longer op-ed, it's legal libel and opens them up to lawsuit. last i checked the owner was still a UK citizen, and the data server was still on US soil. they can be sued by something other than the cambodian kangaroo courts.

it's also pretty easy to bury your own name in google's results. linked in account, personal bio page, public fb page, etc... most people don't go past the first 10 response so that's all you have to dominate. there are even services out there that will help do this for you.

Edit: Having just checked, some countries require google to remove defamatory links from their search on a user complaint... the UK is one of these countries. Meaning it's easy as pie for a UK citizen to get it taken down.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

ryoon wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:or just route through the onion...
Unless I am mistaken there are inconvenient with this system, but not an IT guy

- My ISP provider can log my activity, and this is my main concern. I have strictly zero confidence in a Vietnamese company on those issue and what they can potentially do with the data. I would have less concern on this point in the U.S or europe but still ..
- I can not control the country I log in ( which can be a trouble as mail send from Cambodia can bounce back in some country).
- not good enough with computer to know how to use tor correctly, also no inclination to learn.

I think you would be surprise at what point my Internet activity are boring.

For what I know vpn assure a good layer of protection for electronic transaction and relative anonymity. Good enough for me.
ISP: onion is encrypted at the PC level until it leaves the onion system to the target, then encrypted before it comes back. ISPs can't log shit.
Country: true. there may be systems for controlling this to some degree... i've never looked.
Computer: it's pretty plug and play... you download TOR and install, then use the TOR browser.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

OrangeDragon wrote: Edit: Having just checked, some countries require google to remove defamatory links from their search on a user complaint... the UK is one of these countries. Meaning it's easy as pie for a UK citizen to get it taken down.
There's also a recent EU Court of Justice ruling, probably making that much for feasible in the entire EU soon.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/13/forget-me-not/
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i have found using an anonymous ip address and than tor
ur pretty dam anonymous;
You could also use tor and log in at your local starbucks

Like i said;
download tor
go on to silk roads
go to their forums;
a great source of how to hide,.
some good info; https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en

As regards KIR.
1 of the things i object to is his constant posting details of people, (or using a sock puppet to lie about others) Latest is the guy that attempted suicide at GSM.
KIR posted his ca drivers license. what does he gain from that? Just wrong thing to do. The guy has family and friends.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I just post puns, and nobody cares who I am.

Hide in plain sight.

One day, they will know...I am THE COOKIE MONSTER! :assasin:
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

I don't know who you are Vladimir but you have the funniest avatar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic