Is cable tv obsolete

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Is cable tv obsolete

Post by Duncan »

I was always planning to get cable tv, for the kids to watch , but now that all 3 kids have had Wi-Fi internet on their own laptops in their own bedrooms, I think cable tv is a waste of time. From the 65 ? channels, take out the Chinese movies that are dubbed over with Khmer , the Cambodian tv stations that only show propaganda that the government want you to know, the karaoke channels, of which there are a better selection on the internet and the English news channels , that they don't watch, leaves just a couple of channels that one is paying for, when there are much more interesting things available on the internet.
I have noticed a big improvement in knowledge that my 5 year old girl has now, compared to one year ago, and I doubt that, if she was watching tv would she would be number one in her class as she is now.
I think that in the future cable tv viewers will decline as more people see that the internet can provide ALL the news, radio, tv stations and entertainment at a cheaper cost.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Is cable tv obsolete

Post by Francis »

You are right - I've got the cable with whatever amount of channels, but actually there are just 3 or 4 channels that I regularly watch. So if you got the bandwidth go for WI-FI. But you really should lock down their computers. 3 kids alone with a computer - Jesus, they can have crazy ideas.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Get a Roku. All the tv viewing you could need. Requires a little bit of internet run arounds but one it's setup is better then any cable.

Roku.com
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

Francis wrote:You are right - I've got the cable with whatever amount of channels, but actually there are just 3 or 4 channels that I regularly watch. So if you got the bandwidth go for WI-FI. But you really should lock down their computers. 3 kids alone with a computer - Jesus, they can have crazy ideas.
Have to agree here, the thought of kids these days with free access to the internet is scary. We never watch live TV, drives me spare all the adds.
Using Tapatalk
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

In Cambodia all I watch on TV is Khmer boxing. I don't need cable for that. If I want movies or TV shows there's the internet. I don't believe in censorship and treated my son like a little brother the whole time he was growing up. He turned out just fine.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Mrs Stroppy wrote:Have to agree here, the thought of kids these days with free access to the internet is scary.
I have installed K9 onto my machines (http://www1.k9webprotection.com/). It's for free and you can efficiently block all possible websites. Password protected, impossible to uninstall without password, no overrides possible as long you also block proxies, doesn't slow down computer. Perfect.

In den Meeren salzig ist
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The TV is dead! Long live the Internet!

4 years here and 5 years in England before that without a TV. Movies and TV programmes are a quick download away. News from a myriad of websites. I do own a TV but it's hooked up to the laptop as a 2nd monitor.
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

IraHayes wrote: Movies and TV programmes are a quick download away.
Well, in Cambodia if you have an average internet connection downloading a movie with let's say 1 GB can take easily 8 hours and sometimes even longer.

In den Meeren salzig ist
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Francis wrote:
Well, in Cambodia if you have an average internet connection downloading a movie with let's say 1 GB can take easily 8 hours and sometimes even longer.
Bollocks tbh

I have a 4Mb line and a 3Mb line with OpenNet and they both speed test at 8.8 Mb. In the real world BitTorrent often hits 1Mb/s downloading.. with good seeds ofc.

1Gb just flies by and TV programs take, on average, about 10mins.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Francis wrote:
You need to change providers if possible. 2mbps is not uncommon on a $20 plan.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic