Is the end near for many farang business owners in Pattaya?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Drifter
Expatriate

Re: Is the end near for many farang business owners in Patta

Post by Drifter »

Soi Dog wrote:Years from now, when I reach the minimum retirement visa age of 50, I will definitely be considering moving full time to Thailand again. No question. But by then, I am hoping several other countries will also have official retirement visas and I will several location options to choose from. I don't think the recent crackdown on tourist visas and now disingenuine business owners is a bad thing at all. If I feel mistreated and unappreciated by any government, I will leave and not spend any more of my money there. Simple as that. It sounds like Malaysia has gotten their policies right, as far as retirees go. I am willing to give them a chance, if Thailand gets to be too much of a hassle.
also Indonesia has a retirement visa but their visa policies are a bit messy and confusing, same for the phillippines.

but if i'm not wrong you can become indonesian citizen after a few years, maybe 7-10 yrs.

yeah, malaysia is still the easiest place among the low-cost SEA countries to stay long term.

in singapore i think you need to join the army for 1 yr in order to ASK for citizenship, and probably they don't allow dual citizenship.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

why is it so easy to stay long term in malaysia..?

anyone can enlighten?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

what i wrote is how it is an has been for over 10 years

and same as whta ur link says but u dont need any service to help you. Its VERY easy

I am talking about a retirement EXTENSION,

TO get one you apply at ANY Thai Embassy/consolute for a single entry non immigrant o VISA valid for 90- days.
You then arrange ur finances an apply for the 1 year EXTENSION before ur VISA expires.

Malaysia, more money an its Malaysia :plus1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

I've heard sales pitches before, and this does sound like a sales pitch. What are you selling, if I might ask?
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

HotRecruiter wrote:I've heard sales pitches before, and this does sound like a sales pitch. What are you selling, if I might ask?
Phuketrichard doesn't sell anything on here. You need to learn about how sales pitches are given and discern them from everything else.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

I am hoping Vietnam gets a retirement visa system together.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

SP,

It'd be better if PhDick would answer, thanks.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

HotRecruiter wrote:SP,

It'd be better if PhDick would answer, thanks.
I'm corroborating his comments in advance, to remove any suspicion you have that he's lying.
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

potty wrote:why is it so easy to stay long term in malaysia..?

anyone can enlighten?
because they see foreign investors as an opportunity and not like a nuisance as in thailand.
simple as that.

they don't suffer from any xenophobia towards foreigners, malaysia itself is composed of several ethnicities, they're used to the idea of having different people and different languages, they'll not talk BS about "malayness" or "malay race" apart in recent cases where they made laws to lower the chinese dominance in universities.

of course in many ways they all hate each other, but if we talk business they're aware that easy visa rules are the first requirement to succeed and attract investors.

besides, they've never had the "farang ki nok" issue as in thailand for the simple reason that booze is too expensive so this kind of unwanted slackers never last long in malaysia.
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

phuketrichard wrote:Malaysia, more money an its Malaysia :plus1:
how long you don't go in malaysia ?

i've been there recently ... malaysia is now soooo much fucking better in ANY ways, the only issue is the cost of booze but if you don't drink too much you won't notice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic