No more way to be expat in Cambodia, no more visa for non-retired and non-worker

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: No more way to be expat in Cambodia, no more visa for non-retired and non-worker

Post by phuketrichard »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:16 pm
that genius wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:27 pm I wouldn't mind frequent trips out, but getting a new passport is hassle with full-page visa stcikers
getting an e-visa saves you from getting a stamp in your passport, never done it though,
i used to make monthly trips to Hua Hin in Thailand, my passport didnt last long, its not just the visas but the rubber stamps too each time you cross and come back, soon add up
evisa costs $37, saves you a page and cost ya an additional $7
US passport has 44, ( out of 52) pages you can get stamps on. Costs $110
Cheaper to get the full page sticker,( save $7) an replace ur passport when it gets full, only takes 2 weeks to get a new one thru the embassy
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: No more way to be expat in Cambodia, no more visa for non-retired and non-worker

Post by cautious colin »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:48 am
that genius wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:27 pm I wouldn't mind frequent trips out, but getting a new passport is hassle with full-page visa stcikers
getting an e-visa saves you from getting a stamp in your passport, never done it though,
i used to make monthly trips to Hua Hin in Thailand, my passport didnt last long, its not just the visas but the rubber stamps too each time you cross and come back, soon add up
Cheaper to get the full page sticker,( save $7) an replace ur passport when it gets full, only takes 2 weeks to get a new one thru the embassy
True for US citizens. However, in the UK our passport costs $156, takes 8 weeks and only has 32 pages, of which 8 can't be used (or $170 for 50 pages). Making the evisa a very nice option.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

cautious colin wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:29 am
True for US citizens. However, in the UK our passport costs $156, takes 8 weeks and only has 32 pages, of which 8 can't be used (or $170 for 50 pages). Making the evisa a very nice option.
:thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

cautious colin wrote:
My U.K. passport was returned to me in PP within 10 days - very impressed by the service. I don’t know why they say at least 8 weeks. I know several people who had a similar experience to me.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

khmerhamster wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:55 pm
cautious colin wrote:
My U.K. passport was returned to me in PP within 10 days - very impressed by the service. I don’t know why they say at least 8 weeks. I know several people who had a similar experience to me.
That is really quick. Mine took 15 days recently in the UK (the website said 4 weeks). My point was based more on the fact that it is worth getting an evisa if you have a standard UK passport, and borderline if you have a big one.

It does vary at different times of the year, especially in the school summer holidays. I am not sure I would like to risk booking something within a month of applying for a new passport when in Cambodia.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's a bit steep, a 32 page Irish passport is $93, the 66 page one is $128.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:30 pm That's a bit steep, a 32 page Irish passport is $93, the 66 page one is $128.
And can be ordered online and delivered anywhere on the world.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

New Oz passport a couple of months ago, 10 years, 34 pages = $303.00 USD. That includes a $82 Overseas Processing fee.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:12 pm Does anyone else wonder if the un-rented condos are (like the shoe shops in shopping malls) simply money laundering props?
Like those $4000 dollar bottles of whiskey on the shelf, you claim you sell a few a month...
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

bangkokhooker wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:59 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:30 pm That's a bit steep, a 32 page Irish passport is $93, the 66 page one is $128.
And can be ordered online and delivered anywhere on the world.
Actually, thinking back on that the distance to Hanoi with DHL costs make the Irish one way more expensive. The online service is great but you can only pay for the book by card, the €30 courier fee ended up costing me $118 because it could only be paid for by wire transfer. Children's passports (even if it's their second/ third one) can't be done online, which is understandable but still tricky. Those are the breaks, could be worse.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic