Interview: Milton Osborne, on Pol Pot and Cambodia’s Development

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:33 am

11 September 2018
His latest work, “Pol Pot Solved the Leprosy Problem: Remembering Colonial and Post-Colonial Worlds”, is a memoir of his days as a young diplomat in Phnom Penh between 1959 and 1961.
WASHINGTON DC —

[Editor’s Note: Milton Osbourne is one of Australia’s leading authorities on Southeast Asia. His latest work, “Pol Pot Solved the Leprosy Problem: Remembering Colonial and Post-Colonial Worlds”, is a memoir of his days as a young diplomat in Phnom Penh between 1959 and 1961 and his later work as an academic and consultant to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees. Osborne has penned numerous other works over his career, including “Sihanouk: Prince of Light, Prince of Darkness”, “The Mekong: Turbulent Past, Uncertain Future”, and “The French Presence in Cochinchina and Cambodia: Rule and Response”. He recently spoke to VOA’s Sotheary You.]

VOA: You wrote a book on how Pol Pot solved the leprosy problems. Can you please give us the big picture of your book?

Osborne: Well, the book is an effort to provide some background on my own experiences in Cambodia and Vietnam over the period from when I first went to Cambodia in 1959 until 1981. That’s some 20-plus years that I had an experience of living through some of Cambodia’s most interesting periods and tragic periods, too...
https://www.voacambodia.com/a/interview ... 66913.html
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Interview: Milton Osborne, on Pol Pot and Cambodia’s Development

Post by k*rm*geddon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Great find.
Osborne is someone to heed.

I recall him once telling how he came to be posted to Cambodia. He'd originally been lined up for the embassy in Paris, which had him in a tizzy of excitement.
Shortly before departure however, he got roped into a staff cricket game. The guy in charge of diplomatic postings was bowling, and Osborne was one of the fielders. The batsman hit the ball high to Osborne who got underneath it but completely fluffed the catch to the obvious rage of the bowler.

Consequently, a day or so later Osborne was informed that Paris was off and he'd be going instead to a Southeast Asian backwater he'd never heard of.
MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic