Do you ever get anywhere without a tuk-tuk?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Do you ever get anywhere without a tuk-tuk?

Post by taabarang »

geordiesky wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:37 pm
taabarang wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:31 am Funny, while walking I usually am overwhelmed by sympathy those who drive cars.
How so?

A car is not too bad.
I will change that to all motorized vehicles, not just cars. Why? Because traffic is an unfathomable clusterfuck that I am not used to in rural Cambodia.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:10 pm
beaker wrote:I'm loving my new ebike 50kms/hr with a 30km range 8)
Looks great, not at all ridiculous looking like other ebikes I have seen around!
What kind of price was it and where did you buy it?
I bought the bike locally at flying bikes 2 and bought the ebike kit from here ---> http://www.btn-ebike.com/index.asp there are no prices posted if you see something you want to know the price of email Ruby [email protected] she will give you a price quote and answer questions. You need to do some educating on the internet to understand the difference in the kits and what your needs will be. The quality from them is excellent and the ship DHL and my order only took 2 days after shipped to be delivered the batteries are considered hazardous material and DHL won't ship them needs to go by another carrier and that took 9 days.

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

bolueeleh wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:52 pm wonder if there is a trike version, wanted to get one for my helper, she needs to get to the market every morning
yes , lots of people build trikes they put the motor on the front wheel. I have seen many trikes at the used bike shops that are imported from Japan. About the only requirement is that the distance/width of the forks here the wheel bolts needs to be at least 100mm which is pretty standard
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:58 pm
bolueeleh wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:52 pm wonder if there is a trike version, wanted to get one for my helper, she needs to get to the market every morning
Get her a moto trike, you can get them custom built and they're pretty cool. Watch the tipping point though.
khmers hv the connotations tat trike moto r for disabled only, so tat wldnt fly
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
geordiesky
Expatriate
Kazakhstan

Post by geordiesky »

I mean, while travelling around in a tuk tuk, how do you *know* when you have hit the one dollar mark, or the two dollar mark, or the 50 cent?
I guess only people who are used to make a real hard bargain knows the answer to this question.
Say you drive through the first block, and then again through the second block. And the first is about one dollar which goes without saying, but is the second really two dollars or is it more like one fifty?
I mean, who decides? I know for certain you can't just say it is one dollar because there is probably some regulations around it. I am not wrong am I?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:56 pm Our own tuktuk or moto. Mrs Stroppy uses PassApp if I'm not around to drive.

It's possibly you see a lot of western tourists walking because they are jack-sh!t tired of having to haggle tuktuk drivers down from stupidly stupid starting prices every single trip, or sick of the PassApp app magically stopping working mid trip and the driver demanding stupidly stupid prices becaw boleeh.
???
Tuk tuks looking for gold while waiting down the road are a dying breed. I know quite a few realizing it themselves now - they've changed to passapp/grab by now.

But are tourists that stupid? They will be quoted a price before the the tuk tuk arrives. They all have bad memories forgetting the price quoted?

And they're all too stupid to look at the drivers' phone upon arrival to be quoted the final price?

'
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

geordiesky wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 pm I mean, while travelling around in a tuk tuk, how do you *know* when you have hit the one dollar mark, or the two dollar mark, or the 50 cent?
I guess only people who are used to make a real hard bargain knows the answer to this question.
Say you drive through the first block, and then again through the second block. And the first is about one dollar which goes without saying, but is the second really two dollars or is it more like one fifty?
I mean, who decides? I know for certain you can't just say it is one dollar because there is probably some regulations around it. I am not wrong am I?
If you use an app, the app decides. If you don't use an app, your bargaining skills along with some common sense decides. You don't really hit marks but if you want a guide it will be min $1, around 50-75c per km after that, plus a little extra if more than 2 people. rate goes down for longer journeys.

From Riverside to TTP, I'd happily pay $3 day time. on an app you will get cheaper, if you bargain well you will get it cheaper but I don't think its quite right.

Short journeys are $1 (up to 1k) unless the tuktuk driver wants more or it is later, You can either decide to pay what he wants or find someone else.

it is all pretty simple really.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

beaker wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:01 am I'm loving my new ebike 50kms/hr with a 30km range 8)
Pretty cool, congrats beaker
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

beaker wrote:
bolueeleh wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am
beaker wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:01 am I'm loving my new ebike 50kms/hr with a 30km range 8)
this looks like a normal bike with just the battery pack n electric motor strapped on it, is it reliable?
People have been using them for years elsewhere there is not much to go wrong no moving parts, the motor is stationary and only the hub with magnets goes round, and the battery packs are good for about a 1000 recharge cycles if taken care of.
IMHO they are more dependable and less upkeep than motos
Easier to maneuver around in tight places can be pedaled like a normal bike and if there was any problem it's easy to fit in a tuk tuk.
No pollution and you can get your cardiac exercise in if you want by easily pedaling along with the motor or with out the motor
No pollution.

Thank fuck.for hydro.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

geordiesky wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:18 am For me, I have a car and so I drive all the time wherever i go.
But one day while stuck in traffic it kinda struck me that pedestrians got to have a hard time getting around anywhere. I mean like anywhere at all.
Yet far from it I seem to spot tourists everywhere, and yes they are obviously walking on foot.
As for how they got there before or after passing my car I would not now.
Not that it bothers me or anything, but I wonder how you get around.
Motorcycle or motorcycle taxi. Once in a while.. Tuk Tuk.
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic