Correcting date of birth in family book and passport?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Correcting date of birth in family book and passport?

Post by bvanfossen »

fatuousdrivel wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:19 pm
bvanfossen wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:16 pm Why not go the easy road on this, get a matching birth certificate.

Can i ask why the 3 year difference bothers you? Is she 15yo? :)
I’m guessing maths isn’t your chosen subject.
Oh, did my joke go over your head? Don't stress it happens...
fatuousdrivel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by fatuousdrivel »

bvanfossen wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:07 am
fatuousdrivel wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:19 pm
bvanfossen wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:16 pm Why not go the easy road on this, get a matching birth certificate.

Can i ask why the 3 year difference bothers you? Is she 15yo? :)
I’m guessing maths isn’t your chosen subject.
Oh, did my joke go over your head? Don't stress it happens...
Oh I got “it” but he’d already stated when she was born so it wasn’t really a joke was it Jim Carey?
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

I wanted to update this.

My girlfriend wanted to change the date of birth in her birth certificate to match her family book, ID card, and passport.

She went to her province to the office where birth certificates are kept and they said they would look for her birth certificate on file. A few days later, they called her and told her they couldn't find any birth certificate on file for her. That may have been a good thing. She needed to make a new birth certificate rather than alter/falsify an existing one.

She went back to the province a few weeks later with her family book, etc. and her aunt or grandfather to vouch for her being born there. They gave her a birth certificate on the spot with the false date of birth matching her family book and passport.

She paid $100. I would have expected less, she's not a great negotiator.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

PhnomRon wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:04 pm She paid $100. I would have expected less, she's not a great negotiator.
You mean that you paid $100...$10 or 20 maybe to the Sangkat, the rest was spent on food and alcohol with the family :ROFL:

:stir:

Just messing with ya, glad to hear she got it all sorted. :thumb:
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:45 pm

You mean that you paid $100...$10 or 20 maybe to the Sangkat, the rest was spent on food and alcohol with the family :ROFL:

:stir:

Just messing with ya, glad to hear she got it all sorted. :thumb:
It gets worse. She tells me the Sangkat man did not ask her for money, she just gave him $100.

Her friend had previously paid $400 to change the date in an existing birth certificate, I think she thought that was the benchmark.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

PhnomRon wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:18 pm It gets worse. She tells me the Sangkat man did not ask her for money, she just gave him $100.

Her friend had previously paid $400 to change the date in an existing birth certificate, I think she thought that was the benchmark.
:facepalm: :ROFL:
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

I asked her if she gave the guy $100 before he gave her the birth certificate (perhaps an understandable bribe) or after.

She said after. So it was a gratuitous $100 tip.

I normally send her like $150-$200 a month when I am away, which doubles her salary I think, so she doesn't have to live in a shithole rat infested room.

Two weeks ago I gave her $600 since I won't be back for 3 months and don't want to fuck with Western Union and want her to learn how to save money and keep it in a bank account and spend it as needed.

This week she gives the guy a $100 tip and then claims that she didn't use the money I gave her, that was from her ($150 a month?) salary.

Three years ago I have her $1200 to start a small business and a week later she loaned it to her sister and of course the sister has never paid her back and she has never asked the sister to pay her back.

Trying to teach a Khmer how to keep a chunk of money for a month and not spend it or give it away is like trying to train a dog to hold a piece of bacon on its nose and not eat it.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

PhnomRon wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:46 pm I asked her if she gave the guy $100 before he gave her the birth certificate (perhaps an understandable bribe) or after.

She said after. So it was a gratuitous $100 tip.

I normally send her like $150-$200 a month when I am away, which doubles her salary I think, so she doesn't have to live in a shithole rat infested room.

Two weeks ago I gave her $600 since I won't be back for 3 months and don't want to fuck with Western Union and want her to learn how to save money and keep it in a bank account and spend it as needed.

This week she gives the guy a $100 tip and then claims that she didn't use the money I gave her, that was from her ($150 a month?) salary.

Three years ago I have her $1200 to start a small business and a week later she loaned it to her sister and of course the sister has never paid her back and she has never asked the sister to pay her back.

Trying to teach a Khmer how to keep a chunk of money for a month and not spend it or give it away is like trying to train a dog to hold a piece of bacon on its nose and not eat it.

May I suggest you do like I do with a few members in my family. Buy them a diary in the new year 2019, and tell them to write in it every day what money they spend. If they do that you will replace that money , up to a amount of whatever you agreed to.

I've got a 16 yo girl in my family and after doing this for the last four years she is very good with her money and always has money saved up for emergencies. Her allowance has just gone up from 10,000 r per day to 12.000 r a day, plus lump sums on request for anything special.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic