Thai visa crackdown

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Thai visa crackdown

Post by StroppyChops »

I know, let's report every post and see how many OD gets...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Username Taken wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:
Username Taken wrote:^^ Does the Report function actually work?

I reported one (or two) today and have had no feedback. Hardly worth the effort. :popcorn:

:beer3:
apparently it didn't work for you... because i see none that you've reported in the list.
So, it's not functioning then!?

Two today, by clicking on the 'Report' button. [One about Drunk driving Scotland, and one about home delivered 'something').

Do you see any that have been reported by anyone recently?
Yeah, a few. HotRecruiter bashed the shit out of that button so much i've had to cut him off. perhaps the general addressed them. we don't alway respond to the reporter when we take action (or choose not to).
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

OrangeDragon wrote:we don't alway respond to the reporter when we take action (or choose not to).
So, why do we tick the box to say 'Notify Me: Yes' ?

what was this thread about anyway?
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Username Taken wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:we don't alway respond to the reporter when we take action (or choose not to).
So, why do we tick the box to say 'Notify Me: Yes' ?

what was this thread about anyway?
oh yeah, that will automatically notify you if we close it/etc. i meant contacting you directly.
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

OrangeDragon wrote: oh yeah, that will automatically notify you if we close it/etc. i meant contacting you directly.
but there's a bug : the links in the email always point to the first page of the thread, never to the last post, so you have to click on the last page manually...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I find this very refreshing, ESPECIALLY for a thai. to do something than to admit it was the wrong move an reverse itself!!!

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau has been told to be flexible with "visa runners", junta chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said yesterday.

In his weekly televised address yesterday, Prayuth said those going on visa runs can register with the bureau, which will then find a way to resolve the problem.

Foreigners have been exploiting tourist visas and visas on arrival to work illegally in Thailand, mostly as English teachers. When their visa is about to expire, they go to a neighbouring country for a new visa and return to continue with their illegal jobs.

Upon taking over, the junta decided to tighten the rules, deciding not to re-issue visas and threatening those who overstay their visa with deportation. However, Prayuth admitted that this crackdown had considerably affected certain groups.

"This is a problem that needs to be resolved, as it can lead to a shortage of English teachers and tour guides," he said
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

I don't find it refreshing, I find it to be ridiculous fucktardary by the junta, especially since everyone but them foresaw this problem as soon s their new policy was announced. They should either hire me as a consultant or at least read CEO before they make their inane, poorly thought out proclamations.
Soi Dog wrote:(I wrote this on page one of this thread on July 7)
It will be more interesting to see how the Thai educational system fills the void of English teachers so abruptly cut off from returning, as they have been doing this visa run for years.
Phuketrichard, you can't really justify your repeatedly praising the junta for their bold decisions on upholding their immigration laws and then give them kudos for completely backing down on that exact same crackdown, can you?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i think overall their doing a good job in starting to enforce existing laws ( the Russians/Koreans/Taiwanese were working as tour guides, running restaurants etc and taking jobs from Thai's) and trying to fix the loop holes that exist

Maybe what they need do is set up a new category for those teaching ( as they are not taking jobs from Thai's ) and for whatever reason the school wont/cant give them the proper visa.

What i was praising was that they ADMITTED they did it wrong ( something a THAI never DOES) usually they would just ignore it an not enforce the new law

Its a work in progress
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

phuketrichard wrote:and taking jobs from Thai's
oh really ? how many Thais speak FLUENT russian, korean, taiwanese ? how come all the thais i've met can't even spot Patong on a map of Phuket ! ?

stealing jobs ? that's laughable hahaha, even the most cheapskate "farang ki nok" is a skilled worker compared to the average low-IQ thais.

and how arrogant is for them to expect to have a monopoly on tourist guides ? that's stuff i would expect from China in the 80's .. even in china now they have private and foreign guides, go figure.

the thais are so fucking scared of any competition, i've NEVER EVER seen such a country anywhere so full of shit, anywhere else their neighbours would eat them alive in business and yet for a mix of absurd historical reasons the thais now are having a good time just because their neighbours are shooting themselves in the foot, and the funny thing is the thai believe their own shit and openly rant about their racial supremacy towards burmese or lao or khmer .. that's the fucking icing on the cake .. you've no idea how the malays see the thais as inferiors and rightly so.

phuket, pattaya, bangkok, blah blah blah .. we all know the shady reasons behind their touristic boom ... cheap-ass hookers and cheap booze, just like in Manila, Angeles, and Phnom Penh but of course the thais will tell me that prostitution is illegal .. hahaha.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

the main reason why thailand has more money amongst the population (or has anymoney at all), is the sex business.

and this needs feasable visa conditions.

dont worry, its just a smokescreen, mainly for the own population, that all those westerners they wouldnt need.
without sex business there is nothing left.

they are so desperate, that a non-sex-interested person is unable to stay at the place.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic