Price of rice-growing land

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Price of rice-growing land

Post by cptrelentless »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:43 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:31 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:30 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 pm I paid 6,000 for 5,000 sg m ONLY rice growing, no trees, already producing rice. 5kms before Savy Rieng town about 5 1/2 years ago. Been offered $10,000 for it.
So that's half hectare. 2 crops per year. How much value in rice per year?
Growing rice is a mug's game. Any other cash crop would be better. I think it was this year's harvest where the government had to lend everyone money from farmers to millers. If you can get the grass and the initial upfront cash then beef cattle would be the mack daddy. You could probably just poly-tunnel veg, though, too.
Try telling that to the Khmer since the area and climate suits. Also being their staple food. And not to forget the country is the 7th largest exporters of the produce.
I have tried. Even for the end consumer rice is only 2500r a kilo. Do they have agricultural colleges here? The guy I was speaking to was a young guy and I was trying to convince him that using science to improve his yields would at least be a small step in not having a life of penury ahead of him. The Japanese have it down to a fine art.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

cptrelentless wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:09 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 pm I paid 6,000 for 5,000 sg m ONLY rice growing, no trees, already producing rice. 5kms before Savy Rieng town about 5 1/2 years ago. Been offered $10,000 for it.
Growing rice is a mug's game. Any other cash crop would be better. I think it was this year's harvest where the government had to lend everyone money from farmers to millers. If you can get the grass and the initial upfront cash then beef cattle would be the mack daddy. You could probably just poly-tunnel veg, though, too.
Try telling that to the Khmer since the area and climate suits. Also being their staple food. And not to forget the country is the 7th largest exporters of the produce.
I have tried. Even for the end consumer rice is only 2500r a kilo. Do they have agricultural colleges here? The guy I was speaking to was a young guy and I was trying to convince him that using science to improve his yields would at least be a small step in not having a life of penury ahead of him. The Japanese have it down to a fine art.
I agree with you. I known of various farmers in this country with different methods and aptitudes. The only sort of agriculture collage teaching that I know of personally, are that of Phnom Penh university and a few more scattered around the country on hydroponics. Also an acquaintance worked here as a agriculture advisor for many years.
But when it comes to rice farming it's grown the way of past generation's, with only change of moden chemicals.
I know of someone with a plot a little larger then Richard's. They have someone managing, and recive a percentage of the produced rice. It works out about 50kg = $25 per year.
I offered them $200 per year rent following the next harvest. The owners said laughing NO.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

You can find rice fields for less than 1000$\hectare but you better be able to buy hundreds of hectares for get this prices.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Fucking backbreaking work with little return for farmers with family plots. Especially with limited market access controlled by Vietnamese middlemen. If you don't sell at their non negotiable price, you don't sell. To make real money on a rice crop you need to own many hectares of land with a dependable water system. And unpredictable weather patterns are starting to take their toll. Why grow it? It's cheap therefore better to let someone else take the risk and bust their butt.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

taabarang wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:51 pm Fucking backbreaking work with little return for farmers with family plots. Especially with limited market access controlled by Vietnamese middlemen. If you don't sell at their non negotiable price, you don't sell. To make real money on a rice crop you need to own many hectares of land with a dependable water system. And unpredictable weather patterns are starting to take their toll. Why grow it? It's cheap therefore better to let someone else take the risk and bust their butt.
That's what the land owner is doing "renting in effect, but reciving payment in rice" like I wrote in a previous post. But the rewards are very low. I myself have no intention's, nor interest in farming rice.
Jack.R. wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:23 pm You can find rice fields for less than 1000$\hectare but you better be able to buy hundreds of hectares for get this prices.
That's very interesting $0.10m2. Bargain, what provenance would the hundreds of hectares be available?
We could form a Co-op and be ahead of the new visitors before they find out.
cptrelentless wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:09 pm
This is a start in the right direction for the Khmer farmers.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50526235/h ... va-sector/

Hong Kong firm and UNDP sign partnership in cassava sector

A new public-private partnership aims to improve the livelihoods of local cassava farmers by guaranteeing a market for their products through contract farming and by modernising the industry.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Green Leader Holdings Group Limited, a Hong Kong-based investment holding firm, yesterday signed a cost sharing agreement for the ‘Accelerate Inclusive Cassava Market Development’ project, whose aim is to boost cassava exports.
The project will have a lifespan of 3.5 years and will cost about $800,000. As per yesterday’s agreement, Green Leader will shoulder $500,000, while UNDP will provide $300,000.
A goal of the partnership is to encourage more farmers to join contract farming schemes with the Hong Kong firm, which, according to project representatives, will improve their livelihoods by guaranteeing a certain price for their products.
UNDP’s country director Nick Beresford said the agreement marks an important milestone, reflecting a solid commitment from both UNDP and Green Leader to support governmental efforts to advance the cassava sector.
He said the partnership will result in a more valuable product and a more reliable supply chain.
Michael Tse, CEO of Green Leader, said they are committed to contribute to the sector’s industrialisation by establishing processing facilities throughout the country to produce cassava starch and modified starch for export.
“Construction for our first processing plant in Snoul, in Kratie province, began on April 1 and will be operational before the end of the year,” he said.
Mr Tse said bringing farmers on board their contract farming scheme was important to secure a reliable supply of fresh cassava for their factories.
“By working closely with farmers through contract farming schemes, we can achieve a win-win situation,” he said, adding that farmers will enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing that your product has a guaranteed buyer.
“Entering this cost sharing agreement with UNDP also signifies a further step forward in supporting the sustainable development of cassava through a public-private partnership. We will be able to achieve our initial objectives while bringing meaningful sustainable change,” he added.
He said the partnership will contribute to the success of the government’s national strategy for the cassava sector.
Commerce Minister Pan Sorasak said the agreement is one of two major achievements in the sector so far this year; the other one being the drafting of a national strategy for the cassava sector.
“The Ministry of Commerce and UNDP are committed to the development of the cassava sector to reduce poverty and promote inclusive development,” Mr Sorasak said.
“The ‘Accelerate Inclusive Cassava Market Development’ project is the first private-public partnership initiative in which expenses are being shared and both private and public investment are being used,” he said.
He said this model maximises benefits for all actors in the value chain.
“I strongly believe that this model will generate fruitful results and an impact which will be replicated and scaled up throughout the country,” he added.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

I did run some extensive profitability studies for large scale rice farming together with an agronomist, any farm with over 200Ha able to produce 2 cycles of rice each year can be rather profitable if managed well.
We even tested some Chinese drones for spraying pesticides.
A decently managed rice field can yield 12ton+ each hectare every year.
A 200Ha rice field can produce a revenue of 450.000$ each year (before deducting all the costs).
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

12 tonnes a hectare seems pretty good, perhaps optimistic. Closer to 9 or 10 I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Two cycles each year at 6tons with decent management can be standard.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

This on Facebook today. It is rice land. But soon someone may want it for a prime building site, being were it is.

Land for sale 45$/1m2
Size: 14 X 55.5m
Soft title, District.
Roads 2, in front 15m and behind 8m
Land have people living around, market, and school 15minutes from Old Market
Address: Kondek Village, Bakong District, Siem Reap City.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic