Not your normal tourist sites....

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Not your normal tourist sites....

Post by John Bingham »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:51 pm
I am very very interested in the book "King Norodom's head". It looks to be right up my ally so when I visit next. it's around $25 on amazon, is it at any of the riverside book stops for cheaper (if so I'll get a copy when I'm next in town).
No, it's not available at any stalls, and I'm not sure Monument even have any more copies.

Here's that police station on post office square in 2003:

And as a military barracks in 1974:

It says PM - Prevote Militaire on the sign, not sure what that means, but it looks like the precursors of today's Royal Gendarmerie.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Not your normal tourist sites....

Post by Anchor Moy »

"King Norodom's head" sounds intriguing. They have second hand paperback versions going for about $10 plus postage on Amazon if anyone's interested. (A new hardcover will set you back $78.49.)
King Norodom’s Head deals with sights of Phnom Penh rarely found in guidebooks. This is not, therefore, a guidebook with walking tours of the town. There are no detailed descriptions of the Royal Palace, National Museum, or Khmer Rouge’s infamous S-21 detention-cum-torture centre, though all these places make appearances in the book. Rather, the reader will learn of the gold of King Ang Duong and of Madame Chum’s infamous opium den, the story behind the mysterious Frenchman buried on Wat Phnom’s hill, and the secret reason behind Jackie Kennedy’s 1967 trip to Cambodia.

Each chapter centres on a site that can be visited, someplace or something that can be seen and often touched. The hope is that together these chapters will give the reader an appreciation of a number of the more obscure or little reported places in the city and of the stories and history associated with them. If this book encourages visitors to spend an extra day here and inspires residents to stroll their city’s streets more than they normally would, it will have achieved its purpose.
https://www.niaspress.dk/books/king-nor ... 0%99s-head
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic