Relationship options for the over 50's?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Relationship options for the over 50's?

Post by vladimir »

Any country that makes men think twice about marriage - for any reason whatsoever - has my respect.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

JBTrain wrote:
Sailorman wrote:Friends of mine made arrangements and flew to Sri Lanka to get an official marriage .
No locally approved free to marry affadavit required?
MY gf has already negotiated this for us, BUT to legalize it in Thailand it needs to be authorized/notarized by the Cambodia embassy an they wont,

Singapore on the other hand does not ( according to my research) does not need the notarization BUT u need stay there 2 days an than one of you needs remain in Singapore for 14 days. After that time the partner returns and Than u can register the marriage as legal
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

vladimir wrote:Any country that makes men think twice about marriage - for any reason whatsoever - has my respect.
Hat tip to that!
Gaudente
Expatriate

Post by Gaudente »

jah steu wrote:
flying chicken wrote:where foreign men over 50 required a certain amount of income which is more than the Cambodian Prime Minister salary.
I think the $2,500 per month income requirement is for men under 50. Those over 50 cannot marry a local woman. Though I'd guess there are ways around this.
that's great ! this way you can drag on a girlfriend relationship without ever rotting it into marriage :thumb:
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

dont marry.

she will decrease sex over time, she will endlessly ask you money for her greedy family, she will play any sort of shit and tricks to grab more resources, you'll be her personal ATM and will be squeezed like a lemon and thrown away once you're dry.

still think "but she's different !!" ?
don't be that guy.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Are you talking about yourself Drifter? Many Khmer-barang relationship failed because they chose the bar, massage girls, gold digger types and their youthful looks. There was no love from the start so it's predictable. But at the same time I also see a few healthy Khmer-barang relationships too simply because the love is genuine.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Drifter
Expatriate

Post by Drifter »

flying chicken wrote:Are you talking about yourself Drifter? Many Khmer-barang relationship failed because they chose the bar, massage girls, gold digger types and their youthful looks. There was no love from the start so it's predictable. But at the same time I also see a few healthy Khmer-barang relationships too simply because the love is genuine.
actually i've the utmost respect for bargirls and gold diggers, apart for a few bad apples they tend to be pretty honest and straightforward about their price, TCO, ROI, etc ... what you see is more or less what you get as long as you know the score and you're not fresh off the boat.

with a wife, and especially with a typical bitchy western wife, it's just a financial black hole, no matter if it all looks good for the first few years, ultimately you're fucked.

as for love, not all us are seeking true love, many of us are OK with just a girlfriend that doesn't make a mess of our life and doesn't scream or ask money at every opportunity.

i'm more and more convinced all these barangs end up being fucked royally because they can't hold their frame and they're not bold enough with women in general, by domino effect they end up attracting and being the easy pray of the worst predators and rapacious gold diggers, so in many ways i'm sorry but they can only blame themselves.

it's full of nasty bargils who would sell their own mother for a snort of coke or some yaba but there also many others who end up marrying a good barang and make a family overseas without the whole drama and mess you hear in the usual horror stories.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

General Mackevili wrote:That info is technically true, but I know a few people that have gotten around the income requirement, and I'm guessing it's possible that some have gotten over the age restrictions too.

Also, many people just do the wedding ceremony without doing the actual paperwork to make it legally binding. This is the best of both worlds, LoL.
The announcement for a wedding is supposed to and almost always made days in advance so the village/neighborhood knows. It is illegal and fines are heavy when the police show up and you don't have a marriage license . It sounds messed up , but you are not at all allowed to have a wedding sans the license. Engagement ceremonies with monks and all are fine.

I asked the Fiancee if we could just have a shotgun wedding out in here province. I figured how bad could it be, no announcements, just a tent and some backyard drinking/eating. The wife said absolutely not.

OrangeDragon's love wife gave us the same advice along with many other Khmers. Fiancee's step father is a low level , non traffic police and he too said it would be a very bad idea. They will shut your wedding down.

Of course there are always stories, some true too, about exceptions to the rule.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:That info is technically true, but I know a few people that have gotten around the income requirement, and I'm guessing it's possible that some have gotten over the age restrictions too.

Also, many people just do the wedding ceremony without doing the actual paperwork to make it legally binding. This is the best of both worlds, LoL.
The announcement for a wedding is supposed to and almost always made days in advance so the village/neighborhood knows. It is illegal and fines are heavy when the police show up and you don't have a marriage license . It sounds messed up , but you are not at all allowed to have a wedding sans the license. Engagement ceremonies with monks and all are fine.

I asked the Fiancee if we could just have a shotgun wedding out in here province. I figured how bad could it be, no announcements, just a tent and some backyard drinking/eating. The wife said absolutely not.

OrangeDragon's love wife gave us the same advice along with many other Khmers. Fiancee's step father is a low level , non traffic police and he too said it would be a very bad idea. They will shut your wedding down.

Of course there are always stories, some true too, about exceptions to the rule.
You probably wouldn't have that problem in PP, versus a small village where everyone knows everything that's happening.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

0to60 wrote:
Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:

You probably wouldn't have that problem in PP, versus a small village where everyone knows everything that's happening.
I think a wedding in the middle of a Phnom Penh street might be more noticed than in the countryside, that is just me applying the bit of common sense I have left. :) You could be right. I do however know for a fact that it is big trouble to have a wedding without a marriage license here.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic