Ethnic Vietnamese leave Cambodia in droves due to discrimination and racketeering.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Ethnic Vietnamese leave Cambodia in droves due to discrimination and racketeering.

Post by IraHayes »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:58 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:53 pm strange the animus against them while the PRC eats the place wholesale.
I've heard directly from a close friend who is the partner of an ethic Vietnamese lady who, along with her extended family, have been here for decades, and the younger generations were born here. He says the ethnic Vietnamese are being removed from the country using poor or faulty documentation dating back beyond memory, at the request of the PRC which doesn't want competition as they take over the country. I don't know to what degree this is a reality, but from what I see it has at least some truth to it.
The articles appear to indicate that it is the lower tier of VN society that is being removed. Hardly a threat to the power of the New Overlords moving into the country.
This is probably more down to the historical hatred between Chinese and Vietnamese manifesting as conspiracy theory.
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Re: Ethnic Vietnamese leave Cambodia in droves due to discrimination and racketeering.

Post by kocdim »

Whats the long turn consequences If foreigner marries girl from Vietnam or from Cambodia with Viet origin? Last year I saw a khmer married Viet girls. When I was in PP before 1-2 weeks ago I stayed in 2 hotels. Both of the hotels had Vietnamese names. I notice that the guy, the owner, looks like Vietnamese, but his wife looks like khmer. Maybe I'm wrong though. Also I notice lot of viet working around the area.
Maybe this is pressure on the poor families from that specific area? No fish available with some pressure from the government???
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:30 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:58 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:53 pm strange the animus against them while the PRC eats the place wholesale.
I've heard directly from a close friend who is the partner of an ethic Vietnamese lady who, along with her extended family, have been here for decades, and the younger generations were born here. He says the ethnic Vietnamese are being removed from the country using poor or faulty documentation dating back beyond memory, at the request of the PRC which doesn't want competition as they take over the country. I don't know to what degree this is a reality, but from what I see it has at least some truth to it.
The articles appear to indicate that it is the lower tier of VN society that is being removed. Hardly a threat to the power of the New Overlords moving into the country.
This is probably more down to the historical hatred between Chinese and Vietnamese manifesting as conspiracy theory.
Mm, except this lady is the owner of several large businesses, and for the first time her visa extension isn't being renewed, nor are those of her extended family.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic