Weed in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Weed in Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

I always keep a close eye on the girls.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

:popcorn:
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

Username Taken wrote:
0to60 wrote:General Motors?
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

OMG!

Genetically Modified? Never. 15 years with Mexican seeds, 5 years with Laotian seeds. Never a hermaphrodite.
0to60
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 0to60 »

"The three symptoms you describe ? airy buds, hermaphroditism and continuing vegetative growth during the flowering cycle ? are typical of light pollution. Somehow light is reaching your plants occasionally during the dark period. Perhaps the lights were inadvertently turned on or the timer is malfunctioning"

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/4371.html

I keep my growroom completely sealed off from light leaks and the door locked during the dark cycle. If you grow outside, street light can cause problems as well. I even cover the little red light on the timer.
Hermaphrodites are not a rule. They are a sign that you're doing something wrong.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
0to60 wrote:Yes, very easy. But you need to be discreet, they do like to be seen busting foreigners. If you're going to do it, take the same precautions you would in the west. Someone else's land, out in the country. 20 liter bucket of dirt up in a tree. Roof tops etc.
If I ever decided to grow 1 or 2 plants and the police came. The Fiancee already knows to just shrug it off and tell them it is for our soup. Look up the laws. Khmer can posses and grow ( although they dont state # of plants or quantity) to be used for cooking.
Not a lawyer and I don't know the laws by the book, but pretty sure you are right. That's how Happy Pizza and Pink Elephant get away with selling 'happy pizza'.
As an example of how common 'Ganja' is as a flavoring in foods (normally soups) check out the Grade 1 government issued Khmer Language reading and writing book. Image
On page 103, under the blends of letter ញ there is Image

កញ្ឆា

The Headley dictionary gives this definition:

កញ្ឆា (Ganja)
1 noun: marijuana (Cannabis indica or C. sativa; it is used as a flavoring ingredient in some Cambodian foods and as a narcotic)

Pretty sure that the Grade 1 teacher wouldn't mention (actually may not even know) that it's a narcotic that can be smoked. He or she would just say,

Teacher: Vannak, can you read this word?
Vannak: GANJA!... sir, what is ganja?
Teacher: You know surely? It's that herb mummy puts in the somlor soup often. I saw a nice plant of it growing in your yard.

(Footnote: កញ្ឆា used to be found in the old school books upto 2012 addition. Now it has been removed. A sign of changing times possibly)
badneighour
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Post by badneighour »

Rama wrote:
Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
0to60 wrote:Yes, very easy. But you need to be discreet, they do like to be seen busting foreigners. If you're going to do it, take the same precautions you would in the west. Someone else's land, out in the country. 20 liter bucket of dirt up in a tree. Roof tops etc.
If I ever decided to grow 1 or 2 plants and the police came. The Fiancee already knows to just shrug it off and tell them it is for our soup. Look up the laws. Khmer can posses and grow ( although they dont state # of plants or quantity) to be used for cooking.
Not a lawyer and I don't know the laws by the book, but pretty sure you are right. That's how Happy Pizza and Pink Elephant get away with selling 'happy pizza'.
As an example of how common 'Ganja' is as a flavoring in foods (normally soups) check out the Grade 1 government issued Khmer Language reading and writing book. Image
On page 103, under the blends of letter ញ there is Image

កញ្ឆា

The Headley dictionary gives this definition:

កញ្ឆា (Ganja)
1 noun: marijuana (Cannabis indica or C. sativa; it is used as a flavoring ingredient in some Cambodian foods and as a narcotic)

Pretty sure that the Grade 1 teacher wouldn't mention (actually may not even know) that it's a narcotic that can be smoked. He or she would just say,

Teacher: Vannak, can you read this word?
Vannak: GANJA!... sir, what is ganja?
Teacher: You know surely? It's that herb mummy puts in the somlor soup often. I saw a nice plant of it growing in your yard.

(Footnote: កញ្ឆា used to be found in the old school books upto 2012 addition. Now it has been removed. A sign of changing times possibly)

Rama good find.... :D
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Rama, I am no lawyer either. Good find on that, karma for you. *shrug* for what it is worth , hehe. :beer3:

My girl's grandmother still has a nice patch out in Kampong Cham. She smokes it once in a great while, but often cooks the soup with it or packs a big mouthful of the stuff and chews on it like that American chew(chaw?) They chew a lot of it in the south.

Just found it interesting that I had a healthy little sprout come up that the missus was watering and taking care of, oblivious to what it was. I think shes only seen full grown plants. To be honest, her grandmother's plants are nothing to be proud of, but then again, 0 fucks are given about the crop. It is what it is.

Cheers guys n gals.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
badneighour
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Post by badneighour »

0to60 wrote:"The three symptoms you describe ? airy buds, hermaphroditism and continuing vegetative growth during the flowering cycle ? are typical of light pollution. Somehow light is reaching your plants occasionally during the dark period. Perhaps the lights were inadvertently turned on or the timer is malfunctioning"

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/4371.html

I keep my growroom completely sealed off from light leaks and the door locked during the dark cycle. If you grow outside, street light can cause problems as well. I even cover the little red light on the timer.
Hermaphrodites are not a rule. They are a sign that you're doing something wrong.
Dude you’re growing totally unnaturally, Ed may have gave those possibilities, but I can promise you hermaphrodites occur naturally in the wild (espicaly in SE Asia and nothing to do with Ed reasons. Plus Ed isn’t a scientist and does know it all.D o Live in China now?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

good one Rama.
hope the tide of legalization puts an end to the suppression of this medicine in cambo.

the comments on light regimes and their importance would suggest the moon may have some profound effects on flowering in normal outdoor cultivation.

i found hermaphrodites often arise in bush grows from unselected common seed.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

@Rama, and others who want to practice their Khmer reading skills,

Read the bottom of the outside menus at Happy Herbs or Pink Elephant.

From memory, it says something along the lines of 'some of the ingredients can get you intoxicated'.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic