Suu Kyi 'should have resigned'

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Suu Kyi 'should have resigned'

Post by that genius »

finbar wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:45 pmBut it's a fair point, what are the limits of democracy?
Should we be able to vote to euthanase simpletons, for example?
It would mean I could unblock a few on here, LOL
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

jmagic wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:26 pm On the other hand, a clear majority of the people of Myanmar support what the government did. So, democracy.
Yes indeed. I talk to many in my line of work and most say they regretted voting for her.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

finbar wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:45 pm
jmagic wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:26 pm On the other hand, a clear majority of the people of Myanmar support what the government did. So, democracy.
You have to question what information the 'majority of the people' were being fed, though it's quite possible they're all just a nasty bunch of murderous racists anyway.
But it's a fair point, what are the limits of democracy?
an example of the BS the military feeds the locals
Myanmar army fakes Rohingya photos in 'True News' book
YANGON: The grainy black-and-white photo, printed in a new book on the Rohingya crisis authored by Myanmar's army, shows a man standing over two bodies, wielding a farming tool. "Bengalis killed local ethnics brutally", reads the caption.

The photo appears in a section of the book covering ethnic riots in Myanmar in the 1940s. The text says the image shows Buddhists murdered by Rohingya - members of a Muslim minority the book refers to as "Bengalis" to imply they are illegal immigrants.

But a Reuters examination of the photograph shows it was actually taken during Bangladesh's 1971 independence war, when hundreds of thousands of Bangladeshis were killed by Pakistani troops.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/specia ... -news-book
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

In China I Picked up an official account of what happened in Tiannanmen in 1989. Printed by the chinese government, in which they stated that " no one died in the square that night"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

canucklhead wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:35 pm In China I Picked up an official account of what happened in Tiannanmen in 1989. Printed by the chinese government, in which they stated that " no one died in the square that night"
Did they say if anyone died through the day ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

that genius wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:15 am
One could add Hitler to that list.
Its easier to blame one man, or in this case, one woman.
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

finbar wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:45 pm
You have to question what information the 'majority of the people' were being fed, though it's quite possible they're all just a nasty bunch of murderous racists anyway.
But it's a fair point, what are the limits of democracy?
Democracy is a morally flawed system. Two guys can vote to steal a third guy's house. Or a majority can choose to exterminate a minority. I'm just playing devil's advocate.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

'Democracy is a morally flawed system..."

It is much more than just a system, above all it is a state of mind.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic