Certified copies of official documents.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Certified copies of official documents.

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I need to get some documents certified as copies. Mainly birth certificates of the kiddos.

I know when I got married the British embassy supplied this service to us kiwis. Anyone have any idea of if this is still the case and if it is, what the cost are (I can’t remember for the life of me).

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Certified copies of official documents.

Post by Kammekor »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:40 pm I need to get some documents certified as copies. Mainly birth certificates of the kiddos.

I know when I got married the British embassy supplied this service to us kiwis. Anyone have any idea of if this is still the case and if it is, what the cost are (I can’t remember for the life of me).

MoFA can do it for birth certificates.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Kammekor wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:40 pm I need to get some documents certified as copies. Mainly birth certificates of the kiddos.

MoFA can do it for birth certificates.
I have official English translations. In order to get their passports \ citizenship nz require the original khmer documents. As I cannot have access to these to send away I need to get copies certified.

This needs to be done either by the embassy or a notary, I guess.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Kiwiincambodia...not sure if you are aware (pretty sure I already informed you in another thread), but you're translations won't be accepted by NZ Internal Affairs, you will have to pay extra for them to use their own authorised translation service (in Australia!).

Also, you must submit the original documents...notarized/certified copies are not accepted. Unless you have been in touch with Internal Affairs to confirm that notarized copies will be accepted? They are pretty strict on this.

UK Embassy no longer notarises documents for NZ citizens. To have copies of official Khmer documents certified, for official purposes, you should have it done at the MoFAIC. The MoFAIC website has a price list for this service. https://www.mfaic.gov.kh/service-fees

Remember that you are applying for "Citizenship By Descent", as thats all the kids are eligible for. Apply for passports at same time (just tick the box in the citizenship by descent application, no need to apply separately)...approximate time from sending documents to receiving documents in PP via DHL is 1 month.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Kiwiincambodia...not sure if you are aware (pretty sure I already informed you in another thread), but you're translations won't be accepted by NZ Internal Affairs, you will have to pay extra for them to use their own authorised translation service (in Australia!).

Also, you must submit the original documents...notarized/certified copies are not accepted. Unless you have been in touch with Internal Affairs to confirm that notarized copies will be accepted? They are pretty strict on this.

UK Embassy no longer notarises documents for NZ citizens. To have copies of official Khmer documents certified, for official purposes, you should have it done at the MoFAIC. The MoFAIC website has a price list for this service. https://www.mfaic.gov.kh/service-fees

Remember that you are applying for "Citizenship By Descent", as thats all the kids are eligible for. Apply for passports at same time (just tick the box in the citizenship by descent application, no need to apply separately)...approximate time from sending documents to receiving documents in PP via DHL is 1 month.
Cheers PSD. Yes been in touch with DoI already and they will accept notorized copies.

The have accepted the English translations as is as well, which surprised me to some extent. They are still official (or as official as can be) documents stamped by the government, they just need the original Khmer (when I said I could not send them these that’s when they agreed to notorized copies) documents as well.

Looks like I will have to head to the ministry tomorrow. Thanks again.

I’m heading back to NZ soon so will be getting it all sorted while I’m there. Just needed to make sure I have everything as I won’t have access to all the documents should I not have everything I need.

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Oh wow...I should just shut up now aye, haha! Glad to hear they're relaxing the requirements a little, that makes things easier for you.

Bring us back a crate of Tui and some maggi onion soup mix for dip, and some peanut slabs, and... haha, have a good trip back.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Oh wow...I should just shut up now aye, haha! Glad to hear they're relaxing the requirements a little, that makes things easier for you.

Bring us back a crate of Tui and some maggi onion soup mix for dip, and some peanut slabs, and... haha, have a good trip back.
Cheers man. Tired doing it 5 years ago and I had to jump through so many hoops and basically give them my family tree.

This time was like a 4 page document and a few signatures. They really have made it incredibly easy.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

The Sangkat can provide stamped original birth certificate copies.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

fax wrote:The Sangkat can provide stamped original birth certificate copies.
The Sangkat we live in currently or the one on the certificate?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

American Courts don’t give out originals. Only certified copies. Any foreigners gone through the experience of getting the ministry to recognize this?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic