Car Insurance.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Car Insurance.

Post by whiteribbon »

So it's almost the time of the year to renew my car insurance. I currently have all my insurance with Infinity. Their home insurance prices are quite good to be honest but have the feeling my car insurance is way too high (never claimed). I drive a pretty modest Hyundai but it does have a 2.2 diesel. Is that the reason it's so high? What car do you drive and how much do you pay? I tried the 1 Khmer comparison site but it only gave me the result of 1 other insurer so I'm not much wiser since Forte refused to insure my car.
just noise, white noise
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Car Insurance.

Post by bvanfossen »

I am a license Insurance agent in the US. I am not familiar with carriers in Cambodia but I know generally how they operate.

YOU CANNOT IN ANY WAY COMPARE YOUR RATES (prices) TO ANOTHERS. There are far too many variables to do this. Age licensed (experience), how old you are, zip code, model car (if your identical twin that you live with has the same car 1 year older/newer than yours your rates will be different. Same scenario but your twin has exact same model car but lives 1 block away, you can have different rates.

The best thing someone can do in your position that is curious if their rate is good is to put in the work and price shop. Most of the time it's best to call but I know Progressives online system/rater is accurate. I would assume the other "big" named companies are too. I was an agent for infinity for 6 years. Sometimes their rates are awesome sometimes not.

A company may be offering incredibly low or high prices in your area for a bunch of reasons. prices fluctuate constantly! So a company that quoted you a high price today may be incredibly low priced next week.

Insurance is very boring but it literally pays to shop around periodically. Good luck
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

zilch, zero, nada, when u hv an accident called ur khmer friends, then the khmers will compare dicks, the one with the bigger dick get cash compensation on the spot
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

bolueeleh wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:32 am zilch, zero, nada, when u hv an accident called ur khmer friends, then the khmers will compare dicks, the one with the bigger dick get cash compensation on the spot
Thanks for the tip
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

bolueeleh wrote:zilch, zero, nada, when u hv an accident called ur khmer friends, then the khmers will compare dicks, the one with the bigger dick get cash compensation on the spot
Disagree. I was hit from behind at a red light about 2 years ago by a driver too busy reading his phone to apply brakes. Smashed up the lights and plastics on the bike but I wasn't hurt.

He offered $20 for repairs, I countered with "get fucked you silly cunt" and pointed to the Forte sticker on his car. He called them, they arrived within 15 minutes, and took the bike for full repairs - about $150 worth of work, and delivered the bike to my house later that day.

If he didn't have insurance, it would have been a pain in the arse and would have required some dick measurements, but he did, so no negotiations, no police, no time fucking around fixing the problem myself.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I used to be with Infinity but when I went to renew it they were so damn clueless that I gave up and registered with Forte at 1/3 of the price.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

bvanfossen wrote:I am a license Insurance agent in the US. I am not familiar with carriers in Cambodia but I know generally how they operate.

YOU CANNOT IN ANY WAY COMPARE YOUR RATES (prices) TO ANOTHERS. There are far too many variables to do this. Age licensed (experience), how old you are, zip code, model car (if your identical twin that you live with has the same car 1 year older/newer than yours your rates will be different. Same scenario but your twin has exact same model car but lives 1 block away, you can have different rates.

The best thing someone can do in your position that is curious if their rate is good is to put in the work and price shop. Most of the time it's best to call but I know Progressives online system/rater is accurate. I would assume the other "big" named companies are too. I was an agent for infinity for 6 years. Sometimes their rates are awesome sometimes not.

A company may be offering incredibly low or high prices in your area for a bunch of reasons. prices fluctuate constantly! So a company that quoted you a high price today may be incredibly low priced next week.

Insurance is very boring but it literally pays to shop around periodically. Good luck
Yeah, true back home. But I wouldn’t expect insurers here use complex risk, pricing models.
I expect they’ll have a few categories of car, maybe cross plotted with value coupled with the age & nationality of the customer.

I have local health cover for my Khmer staff and it’s the same price for a 55 year old as it is for an 18 year old.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

epidemiks wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:19 pm Smashed up the lights and plastics

took the bike for full repairs - about $150 worth of work
:lol: :lol: :lol: good one
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

bolueeleh wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:19 pm Smashed up the lights and plastics

took the bike for full repairs - about $150 worth of work
Image Image Image good one
From memory their invoice had 2 new side/rear panels at $35 a piece, new light cluster $30, new mudguard $30, labour. Their dollar, not mine. The bike was basically new, and the replacement parts were OEM.

Cost to me = $0, besides a motodop to get to work and the general inconvenience of getting runover.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

khmerhamster wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:49 pm
bvanfossen wrote:I am a license Insurance agent in the US. I am not familiar with carriers in Cambodia but I know generally how they operate.

Yeah, true back home. But I wouldn’t expect insurers here use complex risk, pricing models.
I expect they’ll have a few categories of car, maybe cross plotted with value coupled with the age & nationality of the customer.

I have local health cover for my Khmer staff and it’s the same price for a 55 year old as it is for an 18 year old.
That's interesting. I'd honestly be very interested in finding out how their rates are determined.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic